1955 - Marvelous Mike By Saunders Swadar Toy Co.

Joe K.

See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1955-Saunders-Swadar-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

And, specifically:

http://www.whentoyswerefun.com/38593.jpg

M.M. has already been Timeline dated to 1955 after being spotted in multiple catalogs (Zweck & Wollenburg, Sears, FAO Schwarz). Nothing new there.

What caught my eye in this trade ad was the name "Saunders-Swadar Toy Co." In the past, Saunders Tool & Die Co. was the name usually associated with the manufacture of this robot tractor toy.

Just another piece of the puzzle...

:) Wow, that reads as sort of an apology for the toy not being readily available for holiday delivery. Youch! By the next Christmas, I can imagine that several robot on tractor copies were in the market taking sales from Mike. Oh well, judging by the numbers of surviving examples, Saunders didn't miss that many sales. Or did they? Perhaps unsold Mikes stacked up in warehouses for years from missing the 1955 holiday rush, like desktop computers after the Y2K time had passed. Conjecture! We may never know. -L7

• 1 month later...

:) A couple of questions: was the Marvelous Mike robot tractor a bump and go, and if so was it earlier than the Directional robot and the Robotrac?, and, were the gear robots that Gernot mentioned earlier than the HiWheel robot? If you take just a quick look, you will also see that the Dux Astroman has very, very visible gears, and could also be considered a gear toy, although they certainly didn't paint each gear a different color to make them a distinctive operating feature, as I would have! -L7

• 2 months later...

:) How do you like the blue robot depicted on the Marvelous Mike on the cover of that mag.? Is it just an artist's rendering, or did they make a blue Mike? It might be fun to paint one blue and redo the chest decal! -Larry 7

post-204-1153129556.jpg

I've never seen a blue Mike. Don't know why they decided to depict him that way on this catalog cover. Going back to your earlier question, Larry, both Robotrac and Directional came out two years after Marvelous Mike. MM's been sighted in numerous catalogs from 1955. It was a "bump-n-go" toy.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived