Wheels: Flat Spots

archive

Is there any way to fix a flat spot on the rubber wheel on a robot's feet WITHOUT having to open up the feet to change them? Some of my bots are shuffling instead of walking because their feet can 't roll past the flat area. I thought of squeezing the wheel back to shape and using a hair dryer to fix it but thought I 'd ask here first before I make it worse...'

I know of no way to re-form those rubber wheels once the damage is done. The best thing to do is preventative maintenance: get those 'bots up off the shelf immediately any way you can: washers pennies rings. Personally I use double backed foam tape built up to the right thickness. I see a huge "repro" market here for replacement wheels. Tin Tom Toys take note please!'

You could try a safe and easily removable "Fix" for your flat feet. Try using HOT MELT GLUE to reform the missing arc of the wheel. You can even "Color" it black with Magic Marker after the glue cools. If it does not look or work right you can peel it right off and not harm any part. the small amount of heat should not harm the rubber at all. CHRIS I always thought that the box art for CONEHEAD looked like Gigantor T-28. That boy looks just like Jimmy Sparks to me.'

Concerning the dreaded flat wheels: It does not require a brainsurgeon to put new wheels scavenged from another toy in the feet of a robot. If however you are unable or unwilling to do this there are several avenues open to you. #1 Go to an offset- printshop. When a printingpress goofs up crumpled paper is sometimes passed through the rubber rolls. Paper is as compressible as steel so the rolls are dented. The printer has some magical potion called "Roll-reconditioner" or the such which restores the compressed rubber. -Best and proven solution.- #2 Dab some cellulose-thinner onto the affected areas. This will make the rubber swell. It will also dissolve it ! and remove the paint on the surrounding metal if you are sloppy in applying it Let the thinner evaporate during at least 2 hours before rolling the wheels. - a more hazardous but effective operation-. #3 If the affected wheel is not serrated but a flat follower wheel a slack in Formula-1 terms you can also make it run under 45 degrees against a small belt sander and grind it to a slightly smaller now round diameter. - very hazardous very effective and ethically not 100% OK as it alters the toy-. Disclaimer: Fiddling with expensive toys is dangerous and should not be attempted by fools.'

I read with interest the curse of flatspots. One thing I have heard over the years is that the surface Robots are sitting on play a factor in the rate of deterioration. One thing to avoid where possible is sitting your toys on a painted shelf. Apparently the vapour from paint even old paint can cause a faster breakdown in the rubber. Also I 've been told that leaving Robots for extended periods on very clean glass shelves can lead to a slight sticking and can break of the tips of grooved wheeled Robots. I think a clean wooden shelf is a safe way to go! I personally have glass shelves but stick 15 business cards together cut out 2 little wheel holes and slide it under the base of the Robots feet. it keeps it jacked up but also gives support.'

• Brian.. changed the title to Wheels: Flat Spots

Archived