Mars King Robots...New Treads

robothunter

I've owned several Mars King robots anf the most common problem is the missing, or badly rotten, rubber tank treads. To replace the tracks all you have to do is go to Toys'R'Us and buy any large yellow outdoor construction toy like a crane or earth shovel (you know what brand I'm talking about!) that has large black rubber tank treads. Take off the treads and split them down the middle with a razor blade and use wide Heavy Duty Springline T-30 Staples to connect them and bingo! Good as new and they fit the wheels perfectly and look like originals. These construction toys are almost always on sale in the clearance section and MUCH cheaper than paying for a set of reproduction treads from a "name" toy replacement parts source. I've gotten these construction toys for as little as $13.00 on sale! Try buying repro treads for that!

• 1 year later...

Exactly right! A good saving. I am amazed also at the price of repro boxes. Total rip off and I am a graphic designer!

HW-K

:) HIGHWHEEL KICKER, would you be interested in experimenting with doing some reproduction boxes, just to see if you can? If you could make a box that looks even halfway nice for a lot cheaper than the current suppliers are, you would have collectors beating down your door to buy them. Now, I am not specifically talking of 'dead on, no one can tell if it is the fifty year old box or not' type of work, no, In my opinion, a lot of collectors would just like to have a reasonable facsimile of the package to go along with their toy. They just don't want to give over a hundred dollars for it. I believe that some of us here on Alphadrome would consent to the use of some of our original boxes as examples. I don't have too many boxes, and what I do have I don't consider as 'one of a kind works of art that are copyrighted by some artist'. What I am trying to say is, let's face it, these are cardboard boxes for toys, not originals by Renoir or Matisse. I couldn't care less if someone copies them for the intent of remaking boxes to sell. But then, I'd like to have oil on canvas copies of Renoir's! So what the hey! -Larry 7

:) HIGHWHEEL KICKER, would you be interested in experimenting with doing some reproduction boxes, just to see if you can? If you could make a box that looks even halfway nice for a lot cheaper than the current suppliers are, you would have collectors beating down your door to buy them. Now, I am not specifically talking of 'dead on, no one can tell if it is the fifty year old box or not' type of work, no, In my opinion, a lot of collectors would just like to have a reasonable facsimile of the package to go along with their toy. They just don't want to give over a hundred dollars for it. I believe that some of us here on Alphadrome would consent to the use of some of our original boxes as examples. I don't have too many boxes, and what I do have I don't consider as 'one of a kind works of art that are copyrighted by some artist'. What I am trying to say is, let's face it, these are cardboard boxes for toys, not originals by Renoir or Matisse. I couldn't care less if someone copies them for the intent of remaking boxes to sell. But then, I'd like to have oil on canvas copies of Renoir's! So what the hey! -Larry 7

hehe! good idea!

• Brian.. changed the title to Mars King Robots...New Treads

Archived