Stinking Rubbers!

David Kirk

I've got one of these little pug Robbies in front of me. The stink from the hands bothers me much more than the fact that one of them is upside down. Is there any way to obviate this overt olfactory offense? I'd like to haul him up to meet with his robot pals on my bedroom shelves, but I don't want him to fume my family. could I dip him in baking soda? The Winkies were stinky too, but they stayed at my studio, so it didn't matter so much.

The title of this topic could be an expression of Batman in one of his coarser moments.

*The stink is the sulphur component (rotting eggs) escaping. A 25 years evaporation period would get rid of it...

But to speed it up? Heating will speed up any chemical process, so the vulcanisation will go

faster if you apply some heat.

What you need is something which is "hygroscopic" to sulphur.

Some chemist reading this, will know what.

*There are various things to keep in shoes and fridges, based on charcoal, to absorb smells.

Maybe packing these around them for a while will help.

*If you can reach the whole surface, sealing might be a good idea. Silicone-wax comes to mind.

*Do not buy repro's, they smell in more ways than one.

David - I wil tell you that it gets better with time and exposure to the air. I have about a dozen Pugs on the floor of the robot room I still haven't put into the cabinets yet because I wanted to make sure they were really air dried & cured from the Rigg re-paintings before putting them behind glass.

Well not only has the paint stink gone away, but the smell from the rubber hands has also gone away. So leave them out some place for about two weeks before putting them up on the bedroom shelves and it should be OK. ;)

Henk, I'd love to have the non-stinking originals, but on the other stinking hand, my daughter went to college a whole week on the $1000 I saved by not buying one original. The same $1000 will probably be good for two days when my little girls are old enough to go. It's our children, not repros that devour the robot money! If my eldest had been a little older when I was spending the big bucks, I wouldn't have any robots.

Pat, I hope you're right about the airing out. this guy has been sitting here for weeks already, and he's still pretty powerful. By the way, is anyone forking out the $500 for a pug with no paint and correct hands? I still can't see spending that much more for that much less.

HBy the way, is anyone forking out the $500 for a pug with no paint and correct hands? I still can't see spending that much more for that much less.

I would like to have a rare special edition Piston Action Robot if there really is only 12 ever going to be made and I think the box art is beautiful! Somebody told me that Robert Johnson is an artisit so that mean all the box art on the Papasan robots are Johnson's paintings?

But $495.00 is a lot of money. But then again, you have to pay that much or more for a chrome or gold plated Robby from OTTI so maybe one day these will also command a lot more.

I see one of our board brothers went deep and snatched this up so I guess congratulations is in order. For what you paid you better get two correct hands!!! :lol:

I see one of our board brothers went deep and snatched this up so I guess congratulations is in order. For what you paid you better get two correct hands!!! :lol:

Let me add that for what you paid I hope you finally also get your Alphadrome Robot! I'm starting to get hate mail from guys asking what I did to get mines so fast so I hope sombody else gets one soon! ;)

Yes, I did decide to make an investment in this robot. I think it's beautiful and with only 12 being made I'm hoping it will be a wise purchase over time. Besides, if I go broke I can always sell it to robothunter! LOL! Are you listening out there, Pat?

And yes, I'm hoping that my Alphadrome Members Robot will be included in this shipment along with this robot purchase. I'm getting VERY frustrated. Are you listrening as well, Mr. Johnson? I hope so!

:huh:

I wonder what techniques are used in making a run of 10 boxes. Do you suppose it's a color copy, glue, and hand making sort of affair? I'd be interested in hearing about it when you receive your toy. I didn't mean to run it down. I think it's a nice robot—it's just a lot of cash when you compare it to a nice painted one. And it's nice paint too, maybe the prettiest I've seen on a new toy. The silver has an elegant worn lustre. The paint on the legs and hands is deep and shiny. I think I'd miss that paint!

Besides, if I go broke I can always sell it to robothunter! LOL! Are you listening out there, Pat?

Hey Toywheezer (what the hell does that mean?Only kidding!) if you go to robothunter's webpage under the new toys section there's a photo of a bunch of custom Piston Action robots on the floor and if you look at the extreme left you'll see what looks like a bare metal Piston Action. So either he got one of the very first from Robert Johnson or had a custom onemade by John Riggs. But either way I think your bail-out plan to sell yours to Pat just went south. Sorry!

:(

:) Oh no, that plan is out. Too bad, -many a secret retirement plan includes selling out the robot collection to Pat! -Larry 7

:) Oh no, that plan is out. Too bad, -many a secret retirement plan includes selling out the robot collection to Pat! -Larry 7

If I'm anybody's retirement back-up plan then you're in deep trouble, that's all I can say!

Like the Social Security Retirement Fund, I can't be counted on to be there for you in the next 20 years! :(

ROBOTHUNTER: The tin fellas will outlive us all anyway! They've outlived their original custodians in some cases....and onto e-Bay they go!

It's simply heartless when you see an e-Bay robot that the seller had gotten for Christmas in the 1950's, or the middle-aged kids selling the ol' man's 'bots. "Well, I've had 'im for 50 years now, time for him to move out..... :(

The noyve!!!

If I'm anybody's retirement back-up plan then you're in deep trouble, that's all I can say!

Like the Social Security Retirement Fund, I can't be counted on to be there for you in the next 20 years! :(

Ha,ha,ha! Now I know we're in trouble! I wasn't counting on George W. for much, but I WAS counting on you Pat!! :o

Archived