Litho Restoration Question?

tinluver

Hi, Has anyone had any restoration done involving matching intricate litho

or space scenes.Any opinions on work by Tin Toy Works or other companies

for precise litho matching/artwork on tin? Thanks

tinluver,

I have often wondered about this myself. I did meet a gentleman at the 1st Botstock that did that kind of restoration, but mainly on Coca-Cola memorabilia, litho'ed trays and the like. I can't recall his name, but he was a friend of Joe Ks. I gather that the only way to do this type of repair is by hand-painting and color matching - a tedious and expensive process at best. It's sounds like only a rare and expensive toy would warrant that kind of expense.

I have thought about trying it myself, since I have a few toys that could use a touchup, and they are not so expensive that I couldn't afford to experiment on them. Maybe someday soon.

Two schools of thought here, is "all original" worth more than "touched up"? By touching up or repainting, what do you loose? Like Robert said, you need an artist with a steady hand, the right paint, & lots of $$$$$ on your part.

I guess I'm the guy you're referring to concerning restoration. My background is advertising and graphics and also fine arts. I've been restoring since 1980 part time and full time for the last 8 years.

I've restored items on all surfaces in values up to $25,000.

Clients have items done as heirlooms, personal collections and for resale. How many people can afford the finest condition collectible? An item visually near perfect or vastly improved beats one with problems. the testament to increased value in excess of the cost is my many dealer clients who have given me items for restoration for the last 8 years. scifiman at redmanrestores@suscom.net

717-767-4003

Yes Phil, good to hear from you and i apologize, I could not remember your name! I have no doubt that a skillful repair to litho on toys and other items would provide added value. Phil, do you do much work on litho'ed toys?

I was going to request contact info and then saw it at the bottom of your post. Duh!

Robert, I don't do a lot of litho toys but I do restore hundreds of litho tins, signs, paper lithos, etc. I think you could consider it the same. I use a combination of careful hand painting and blending with airbrush. The idea is to avoid brushstrokes. I use airbrush paints for both the hand painting and final painting. The clear coating to seal the work has to blend smoothly with the good litho areas. I don't repair any more than necessary after cleaning, rust removal and repairs. I also use full spectrum lighting in my basement studio and repair area to approximate natural lighting like they use in print shops. I had a dvd of my before and after work produced with graphic morphing. I can send sample photos by my personal emial. It's easier for me. Phil

I find there is no use in restoring litho. It is made photographically and God did not mean us

to paint such fine lines. In addition for paint to have the same saturation as litho-ink, it needs to be applied

about 3 times thicker. So you will have strokes and ridges on the otherwise flat surface.

If you use 10 coats, with sanding in between, of clear varnish to smooth out the surface,

you will find that "clear varnish" is a misnomen. It will add a lot of yellow and grey to the colours underneath.

I tried every conceivable paint/ink system with airbrush and brushes. I even used a pantograph

(of an engraving machine) to trace 5 times enlarged prints of scans and pictures. It's no good!

Or at least the effort is unequal to the result.

(Decals sometimes do some good)

In general I would hate it more to see someone's DIY on a piece I consider buying than to see some damage.

As to increase in value, if you spend half the time you waste trying to get a litho repaired,

delivering newspapers, you can buy one that is mint.

-All this does not mean that if there are some scuff marks on something lioke the red Cragstan astronaut,

you might not get that improved with an airbrush (-If you are very good at it!) but repainting the emblem,

forget it!

H. I.

I guess I'm going to have to tell the people I've been restoring items for them for 8 years that it's worthless, even though they sell the restored items to eager customers. I repair work for people all over the U.S. I get unsolicited calls from people all the time from referrals. One of the consistent comments from clients is the way I blend the restoration to match the original ( without layer after layer and brushstrokes as you suggest). Have you been a professional artist for 50 years? I've had 25 years to perfect my craft in restoration. I'll be glad to send you photos by my email. This is not the place. I't's dedicated to robots. Phil

No offence meant. In your case it apparently works. Maybe you have found the miracle cure,

that has always eluded me.

(As it happens I have been a professional artist for nearly 50 years, but obviously not good enough)

Also different subjects have different mores. Every jukebox collector would be very pleased

with a completely overhauled machine. So would car collectors. If you mention that you replaced a

worn gear in a mint robot, collectors drop it like a bomb.

I would love to see some pictures of your work and of your methods. My email is:

h.gosses at planet.nl

Would you please include your telephone number as technicalities are discussed very

akwardly by email.

Picture is the walk to Canossa (!)

post-2-1138248721.jpg

I guess I'm the guy you're referring to concerning restoration. My background is advertising and graphics and also fine arts. I've been restoring since 1980 part time and full time for the last 8 years.

I've restored items on all surfaces in values up to $25,000. 

Hi Phil,

Email me some time. I have several projects in the works you may be interested in ..Thanks

ozzies@optonline.net

• Brian.. changed the title to Litho Restoration Question?

Archived