Space Survey X09/07 Variations ?

zzrobot

very cool stan!i like that you have the boxes as well with the toy! i had know idea thier were that many versions... but then again i know little about space toys.

Plastic head astronaut and M/T box. This box was MINT until flooded in a crawl space 5 years after I got it in 1976. Purchased for $6.98 at old variety store. Love all those variations you have especially the coppery-red one which has always been my fave. :lol:

Like the fact they even have turn signals on the front!!!

I'd like to see 'em run against each other on a table top like bumper cars like in a DURACELL type commercial.....last one plonk-plonking wins!!!!

post-2-1137643669.jpg

To recap and coordinate with Timeline/Catalog info:

Space Survey X-09 - Tin Headed Pilot, Red & Blue litho, Catalog #????, 1963

Space Survey X-09 - Vinyl Headed Pilot, Red & Blue litho, Catalog #3175, 1970

Space Survey X-09 - Vinyl Headed Pilot, Mostly Blue litho, Catalog #????, 19??

X-07 Space Surveillant - Tin Headed Pilot, Catalog #3147, 1963

X-07 Space Surveillant - Vinyl Headed Pilot, Catalog #3147, 1970

Cragstan Satellite Outer Space Survey Ship - Tin Headed Pilot, Catalog #90247, 19??

Can anyone provide the missing information???

And, to repeat Stan's original question:

Were there any other variations?

No variations to add, but I’ve always found it interesting how Masudaya used this same pressing oriented differently depending on the action. It’s neat to see that they used this shape with the more pointy end forward on the 0-7’s because it’s a non-fall toy and the weight of the batteries need to be in the back of the toy to keep it on the table. And then on the 0-9’s the more rounded side works better out in front because it’s a bump ‘n go toy. What do you think, was the bump 'n go X-09 first, or the non fall X-07 first? Perhaps they imagined both applications of this shape right from the beginning?

Your design analysis sounds right on Fin. Don't know which came first but this is a very unique design above and beyond that. I only own the Cragstan version of the X-07 at this point, but I didn't know that so many variations of this toy existed (thanks Stan for bringing it up). Although I won't collect the plastic headed versions it is still nice to see the evolution of this great toy.

• 8 years later...
Thanks, Brian. The spaceship was up for auction on ebay. Not sure what it went for.
Do collectors go after ones like this? I am thinking not since the toy itself is common, and misspelling may be a turnoff.
Anybody's thought on this?

Many collectors add different versions of the tin toys they collect, spelling included. This is one of my favourite boxes with an obvious error. I think variations are wonderful.

post-298-0-77193400-1416859112_thumb.jpg

I never noticed this variation before but that doesn't mean I've never seen one. I'd like to own an example of the misspelling version to go with my two color variations, but not enough to spend the value of another nice example on it. So to answer Orbit's question - the mis-spelling certainly is not a turn-off, but since I already have a MIB example of the blue one I personally wouldn't spend the money to track down a mis-spelled variant example. Perhaps some collectors with deeper pockets would.

Archived