English Space Toys - Kleeware

Guest Brian.

I promised Paul (Ranger) I'd post a picture of a recent acquisition. It's the Satellite Launcher by Kleeware, marked Made in England on the box. Kleeware produced a few space toys. I know this style of toy was popular in the 50s and 60s - the shooting propellor design.

It's made of soft plastic. It's large - there's a Space Conqueror in the background for scale. Shop stock, fortunately. I tried the thing out and nearly beheaded myself.

I can't trace this one in any of the books. Anyone know of an (inevitable I think) American original design?

post-2-1137338539.jpg

satlauncher.jpg

You're right Brian,

This is obviously a blatent English rip-off of the Hasbro Easy Bake Oven! Isn't that a cupcake under that front dome?

OK, bad joke.... :rolleyes:

See Picture below:

Ok, Let's try that again. This toy was also produced by Ideal - exact same toy and exact same box. Only the maker's name has changed on the box. Which came 1st? Possibly the Ideal version, which was then licensed to Kleeware. But who knows..?

post-2-1137340474.jpgsatellitelauncher.jpg

Thanks Robert. What a quick solution. There's a long tradition of rebranding/re-manufacturing US toys but I just couldn't track that one down.

Your guess is as good as mine Steve. Judging from the box, and the vehicle design (fenders, grillwork) I would say late fifties..early sixties.

steve said:
Do you know which year Ideal first offered this toy in?

According to Toy Bop by Tom Frey, page 118, Ideal came out with this toy in 1956.

Archived