Lavender Robot interior - Don't They All Have Hooters?

H.I. Gosses

Having some bussiness inside a non-stop Robot, I realised there was no Hooter,

OK Buzzer,

inside. As this was a wreck I presumed it had disappeared in the course of it's sad life.

Just to make sure I looked at yet another and ....

no Hooter!

So I opened up mine and there it was in all it's glory.

post-2-1137208065.jpg

It is a genuine Hooter and not a DIY contraption. It is properly attached with tabs etc and has

the same amount of rust as the rest of the mechanism.

post-2-1137208330.jpg

All Non-stop's seem to have a switch to the mass on the right trailing wheel.

But most seem to switch the light in the head with it.

In the "hootered" version, the light is on permanently and the switch drives the...

Yes, yes, yes..!!! Hooter.

Any info on other non-stop robots?

post-2-1137208922.jpg

This is nes to me. I have been inside quite a few Non Stop robots and know alot of collectors with Non stop robots and I have never heard of one with a buzzer in it. I don;t think I have ever seen a book even that mentions a buzzer action for the Non Stop robot. So if you think yours is a factory job then I would stop what ever modifications you had planed as this seems to be a very rare robot no matter what the condition. On the other hand I suppose there might have been some kid like me back in the 1960's that added the buzzer. I modified every toy I ever owned as a kid. Thw wires comeing out the holes on the back of the buzzer don't look right to me, all buzzers that I can recall haveing looked at have connectors or solder tabs never wires comeing out of holes that are way to big for the wires, seems odd.

Yes all the Non stops I have worked on have the light in the head connected to the rear wheel switch so that the lamp will flash ON and OFF.

Thx John for your reply. Yes it seemed strange to me, too.

Rest assured the hootered one is from my own collection.

No immenent modification hanging over it's head.

I just opened it up to have a look inside and to make sure the hooting was not the

result of my medication.

Well it looks original...

So until we hear from other non-stop buzzers, it's a one-off.

Nice hooter ! That is really quite unusual, I never opened my Lavender when I had it but I am sure that it never had hooters or even a hooter... What does the hooter in a Sonic Train Robot look like ? Could they have the same hooters ?

The sonic has a real hooter—an air powered flutey whistle, rather than a buzzer, I do wonder though, What about Target robot? Doesn't he buzz when you shoot him? Mine is on a high shelf and doesn't work terribly well anyway, so I'll let somebody else answer that question. If he does buzz, maybe this was a factory line experiment or leftover.

David, the target does not buzz, it rattles. I.e. when the target is hit

the mechanism temporarily switches to an other mode.

Amongst it's functions is holding a soundboard with a spring-lip

against a gearwheel. (Rotate-O-Matic, Dino etc)

The Train robot is indeed true to it's name. They simply built the mechanism

of the standard Masudaya train, into a gang o'4 frame.

Well the target is sort of a buzzer. A motor driven claxton is different from a car horn (buzzer) but the results are sort of the same a tone is produced on a sound board one by a electro magnet sucking the sound board in and out and the other uses a rotory motion to beat the sound board like a drum.

Yes the Target has a seperate motor just to strike a sound board.

Just out of curiosity - Henk could you spot any other material differences with this Lavender version. Is there anything on the outside that appears not as it usually does.

Another question - high switch vs low switch Lavender - was this just randomly done at the factory - or did one version come before the other.

In answer to the first question: No, everything as usual.

Low switch version has different batterybox; no litho of batteries but

plain white and a ring for the negative side of the batteries.

As this is a technical improvement to the version with 4 strips of

phosphor-bronze, I presume this to be a later version.

-though one should never underestimate the powers of regression.

it might be a form of "intelligent design"..

• Brian.. changed the title to Lavender Robot interior - Don't They All Have Hooters?

Archived