Non Stop Creep

H.I. Gosses

Not being so very content with the fact that the "Sinister creep" has a Smoker-body,

I decided to give it a new body. And Lo-and-behold it looks much nicer! ;)

-In fact it is the first step towards the 7th " Gang of four", i.e. the lithographed Radicon.

For the archivists amongst us: Note there are two different locations for the switch.

post-2-1136605853.jpg

A CU of the two switch arrangements.

(not significant, but.....)

The only other variation of the Non-Stop, I am aware of, is the lithoed panels

having grey as the base colour rather than pink. (lilac?, purple?)

post-2-1136606359.jpg

-In fact it is the first step towards the 7th " Gang of four", i.e. the lithographed Radicon.

Yea, Henk! I've been waiting to finally see a full-sized repro of this "legenday" robot for years! John made one a while back on an R-1 and it was aswesome and now we get to see a full-scaled version!

If ever there was a robot I would love to see in the flesh (tin?) it would be this one! :D

(Have a told you my theory about lithographed Radicon? We'll talk to talk in private. Don't listen to anything Joe K. might tell you about me and this theory! He's just jealous, that's all. Because I figured it out first! That's right...he's just jealous!)

[{( No Pat, please tel me your theory about the lithographed Radicon.)

and [ (do all of it in parenthesis, (' cos) otherwise (((Joe))) will hear about (it..)]

and he (Will get jealous!)}]

H.I., Is the Sinister Creep head exactly the same as the MT originals? I was wondering a year or two ago when I first saw this head if they were going to be making the whole robot, but no evidence of that yet. Still, you think if Masudaya was prone to suing people over reproduction of toys that they haven't made in forty years, they would have done it over just that head. I wonder if copyright has long since lapsed.

The sinister creep head is larger David. Also I seem to be confused, Henk keeps refering to litho radicon but shows pictures of Non Stop robot. Are we talking about a radio controled radicon or a bump and go Non Stop?

Am I right that Henk had a Non Stop body that was missing a head and the sinister creep made a donation? Just trying to follow what is going on here. ;)

David - you raise a very interesting question over the use of Masudaya designs. I would think in no way has anything "lapsed" in regards to Masudaya's rights to the designs. On the other hand Robert Johnson has very close ties to Masudaya and likely some arrangement has been made from the legal end.

Guest neatstuff

If you go to the "online" United States Patent and Trademark Office you can see that Rocket USA has the trademark/s for The Gang of Five Robots. BUT the (USPTO) website (search function) doesn't operate correctly most of the time....that's our tax dollars hard at work for us again! If you can get the search function to operate correctly, you can learn all sorts of good stuff, I know I sure have!!!! Have fun sorting it all out.....

Happy Collecting,

Bill.

...Am I right that Henk had a Non Stop body that was missing a head and the sinister creep made a donation? Just trying to follow what is going on here....

That was my guess and assumption as well. That a headless Lavendar and a now headless Sinister were going to get re-born together as a litho Radicon in the future. Are we right, henk? :huh:

Regarding patents: aren't these toys now in the "Public Domain"? I believe that any patent rights, unless renewed on a regular basis, become public domain after what..17 years? Not sure, but i don't think anyone can sue over these, in MHO.

good question :-)

there is a big difference between a trademark - a patent and a artist copyright.

a artist copyright for example is in Germany till 100 years and when the artist is gone - his family have still the copyrights.

So - also see we a Toy Robot like ART is the copyright is a long story - but the most of the toy companys made only a patent for a exclusive function and the trademark - but some - have still the copyright for the Idea - the form also the design . this is a verry complicated field.

for example - all you know Masudaya makes in the 80th the series of big plastic Robots - Robby - B9 and Metropolis Maria .

But they had not copyrights for the maria - the family of the real creator ( he was died in 1970 ) have still the copyright till today and masudaya must paid a lot of money.

So have rocket usa the copyright for the words " gang of five " or for the design of the five robots too?

volker

Guest neatstuff

Hi Volker, this should answer your question.....I beleive a "trademark" carries more power then a copyright. Rocket USA does also have the Copyrights to the Name (Gang of Five).

I see that Rocket USA has only recently trademarked the name (Gang of Five)

I wonder if they have some plans to produce a full sized reproduction of them...My dreams come true!

Also, trademarking and copyrighting here in the US is very complicated as well.

Word Mark (GANG OF FIVE)

Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: MECHANICAL ROBOT TOYS. FIRST USE: 19970801. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19970801

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Design Search Code

Serial Number 78554480

Filing Date January 26, 2005

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Published for Opposition November 1, 2005

Owner (APPLICANT) ROCKET U.S.A.,INC. CORPORATION ILLINOIS 7775 VAN BUREN FOREST PARK ILLINOIS 60130

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Bill.

Archived