Ding-a-ling "detecto" On Ebay

Mr.Zerox

Auction ended early. Now the question is was it pulled because of pressure from ebay members who saw the description as misleading -or- did someone actually make an offer even higher than $1,800 to end the auction early and sell outright?

• 8 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Recently there was a Reproduction Bank sold on ebay with full disclosure. It is less than accurate to call this robot a Fake when it was sold as a reproduction.

The Bank reproduced was never in production. The vintage Bank that was in production was not made by Topper. Detecto never went into production. Even the Master Ding Collector Jean (Mr. V) can't come up with one picture of a production Detecto. So why use the term Fake? A fake of what? The Bank as made and the Detecto were never "Real". Never produced. So how could there be a fake of something never real? And since they were never in production, they can't even be called Reproductions accurately. They could be called replicants after the Blade Runner term.

Where are all these fakes? I have been at this for over two decades. (remember the Big Red Toybox) What things have you seen that causes you to imply there are many fake ding a lings? Before these replicants, I had seen only about 3 attempts at creating a Ding even close to real. and they were clearly modern. And only one was deceptive in it's sale. (and as such, it was a fake. One fake.)

It was Joe K who started the Detecto "Prototype" suggestion. Then Tinman says looks real to him. Even though Joe found more info dispelling the prototype concept, the rumor still exists. From my extensive research, Detecto and the Bank with the overhead label were never produced. They were only drawn. If any of you have some photographic evidence to the contrary, it would be much appreciated by all Ding Collectors.

Would it be more accurate and acceptable to say there is a lot of DIY activity in this field in an effort to fill in the more rare and non production pieces?

I am by no means a Ding expert and have been only a casual observer but over the years I have been left with this impression.

Also - just out of curiosity - who did make the production version of the Bank?

Jaxx, I have no issues with people who give honest descriptions. Your auction for the Bank could not have been clearer. I was referring to earlier shenanigans with fake Ding-A-Lings, fake estate finds and a series of posts trying to push up prices.

I have to say that I am impressed by the technical feat involved in the creation of the Bank robot. The resolution is remarkable. What 3D printer did you use?

Archived