Ding-a-ling "detecto" On Ebay

Mr.Zerox

The auction description sounds to me like this is a DIY, albeit done many years ago. Correct?

Hi Joe,

I think its definitely a DIY. I think the seller is trying to cover himself by saying this, but at the same time it reads to me like he's trying to past it off as a prototype?

I agree with Morbius, what ever it is; that a lot of doe to pay! :blink:

Happy New Year Everyone!

That's definitively Twirly legs, maybe Shoeshine arms repainted, a nice made up head on the body of Brain "Gustaved" !!!

Henk, would you please put the polyesther stew on the stove ! There's a shitload of money to be made with 2nd chance offers.

(The polyester is ready for your slightest wish, Master..)

The problem with these kind of things on eBay is that, were it a genuine

prototype,-i.e. made by the manufacturer, everybody would fall over themselves to de-bunk it too.

'cos were I the manufacturer, this is precisely how I would do it: cut and paste and a little bit of paint.

Just imagine the prototypes that are in the large Kitahara book appearing on eBay.

"Oh No! Phoneeeeeey! DIY!!!!"

And indeed that is what they are. They are nonetheless very desirable.

Whether this is a swindle or a historical rarity remains to be determined.

Henk - your last post is either one huge riddle or an attempt to educate us into the subtle nuisances of genuine prototype vs garage prototype with the conclusion that every genuine prototype started out as a garage one!!!!

Considering they say it was made after the company went out of business, and that it's modeled after a prototype, I think it's clear they aren't claiming anything about its originality. It may be a little confusing, but you'd have to really work to believe it's a prototype, rather than a copy of a prototype. Why anyone would pay this much is the only real mystery here.

Garage-genuine protofroddle, in so far as making frimsense in forlornacation is overwhelmingly

farnacious. In this case the restrivations of the surfect appear to be hindariously blatalised!

Yes and no Steve.

Prototype= possible precursor to a mass produced product.

Garage robot= 1) fantasy creation for own enjoyment

2) attempt at fraude

3) phenomenon to goad Robert Johnson.

In spite of the different aims, the methods of production are often similar.

This detecto is probably a clear 2).

:) I'm with David Kirk, the seller is making no attempt at misclaiming the item or defauding anyone. The bidders are collectors that cannot or have not yet hand-built a Detecto for themselves, and they'd like one to display with all the rest of their Dings. Now why in the world someone doesn't start reproducing the rarer Dings at least in a resin kit to sell is beyond me. -L7

The description is confusing and is a bit open-ended, but this is most defiantly a DIY job! The seller tells me that the previous owner that custom designed Detecto did not have it do anything. The helicopter design on top of his head is free swinging but not attached to any motorized motion. Head is unglued from body and the leg is also broken,but repaired. I have attached a close up of Detecto and you can judge for yourselves if it is worth the money?

Makes me want to cast the cowboy! Maybe the bank will follow, what do you think Christian?

post-2-1136380091.jpg

I find it a bit unsettling that the seller has not revised the listing with better pictures or questions from bidders. He obviously has both.

Four days left and the high bid's at $1800.00.

Crazy!

Joe if you were the seller with a garage piece of plastic going for $1,800 - would you revise it!!! Yes I know you would but not everyone has your moral fiber.

Archived