Robert the Robot Mechanism?

Andyman

Sorry Robert, I already know how smooth you are. ;)

I recently won a Robert the Robot repro on Ebay. I hooked up the cable remote and it seems to bind up only moving him in spurts. I assume the action should be much smoother than this.

I did move his arms a bit when I took him out of the box (not knowing they were attached to the wheels) and thought maybe I bent something in the mechanism.

So, how smooth should the action be? Or is this the typical sporatic movement?

Guest neatstuff

Hi Andyman,

I used to sell this repro. I send them all back because of the cable problems. Not only do the cables sometimes not operate smoothly but the steering/turning action on all the ones I had and tested did not actually turn the robot as it should. During manufacturing they goofed. They have the turning mechanism set up all wrong on them. If my memory serves me, the wheels should be in a natural right turn position, when you pull the trigger half way, it should run in a straight line. Pull the trigger all the way should steer it to the left. The steering trigger on the ones I had would not turn the robot wheels at all. It would only run in a right hand circle. This is the problem I had with the 50 or so that I purchased so I just stop selling them. Right off the bat I had customers complain about the cable function problems and the turning problems. Other then this problem I thought it was a very nice repro robot. It's a shame they didn't function properly. Anyway that's the problems I ran into with them. I hope this helps answer your questions!

Happy Collecting,

Bill.

Thanks Bill. This is probably one of the rejects you sent back. ;)

It's no big deal to me really. I don't plan on doing much more than displaying it anyway. Maybe I'll operate on it for kicks and see if I can get it working better.

Guest neatstuff

Hi again, I took a good look at the steering wheel turning problems when I had these in stock. It appears it's set up in a backwards kind of way. It could be fixed but not very easily. As far as I understand it to be, they ALL had/have this same problem. I spoke at length with the man at Ideal Toys who is re-making these robots. He was not very happy about this problem...It was one of those deals where they were put together incorrectly at the factory. They could have just as easily put them together correctly. But to correct the problems on all of them after they were assembled would have been a HUGE job.....It's a pity.

Happy collecting,

Bill.

• Brian.. changed the title to Robert the Robot Mechanism?

Archived