Batteries: Best Choice Batteries

plan3b

Being the new kid on the tin toy collector block - I'm wondering what are the batteries of choice used by you experienced collectors? It seems that almost all of my battery operated robots are powered by 'D' cells, however, the new style 'D' batteries seem a bit oversized for the battery compartments of my new repros (based on old molds) & vintage robots. Also, I'm worried that they might be too powerful for my late 50s & 60s stuff (any truth to that?).

I once heard that dollar stores carry cheap chinese batteries that would better serve my tin toys. When I go into a dollar store I so far have just found the usual brand batteries. Should I keep looking? Am I on the right track? I'm assuming these elusive chinese batteries I've heard about would be slightly smaller 'D' cells that would fit better into my toys.

Hit me with your wisdom....

I have noticed that the Batteries that have a METAL HOUSING around the outside

are thicker than the old ones. They seem to have 2 layers of METAL on them .

I think if you find Paper covered Batteries, they may be the same size as the old ones. I always look

at Dollar Stores first.

I didn't see this question in the old thread. Why do the new big batteries fit in the old toys, but not in the repros of old toys. My Duracells work out fine in the legs of my old smoker, but you need a clamp to squeeze them into the legs of a new one. I don't think this is only about batteries. The new toys aren't quite right.

"There's sumpin' not right about them thar robits, I tell ya. Sumpin'... not... right..."

Cue ominously slashing lightning and booming thunder.

Sorry. I've been reading a bit too much H.P. Lovecraft lately...

Anyway, I think you're right, David. I suspect that the Chinese repros don't always adhere to the strictest of tolerances, and as such, you're going to end up with things not quite fitting the way they're supposed to. Better repros -- MTH, Osaka, Tom, perhaps Papa San (I don't have any so I couldn't say for certain) -- probably fare a bit better in this department. Just a guess.

• Brian.. changed the title to Batteries: Best Choice Batteries

Archived