Nixie Robot

H.I. Gosses

Henk, an incredible effort!

I recall when I started working for the City of Toronto in '75 these 'nixies' were in every electronic calculator at the City. Whenever the tube in one of those would (for lack of a better term) go 'bonkers' and light up a bunch of wires at once they'd throw the machine my way. I took a few apart but being absolutely non-mechanically inclined I had no use for anything within.

Thanks for sharing this item which to me, would be absolutely inconceivable had I not seen it for myself.

To quote a favourite old film, "...what the world needs is a reliable timepiece". Henk, get into John R's Time Machine and take this contraption back to Dr. Philip Hillyer, Mr. Kemp and Filby. They're waiting........................ B)

An artist among artists....!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• H.I. Gosses

• robothut

• dratomic

• Russell

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So tell us all why the box shows "58" in the chest display? Did you make a 60 hour clock instead of a 12 or 24 hour clock or is this a count down clock?

I believe this relates to the minutes after the hour...."58, eh Henk??

When you see it in action, rather than on a still-photograph, it is evident.

Most action, "walking", takes place in the seconds digits, therefore the largest and most

prominent tubes show the seconds.

On the boxtop it is 16 (Hours) 47 (minutes) and 58 (seconds)

I thought H. S. M. on a clock might have given a hint... (?).

(see illustration)

puVenus_in_Despair.jpg

post-2-1131164181.jpg

• 4 years later...

As this was one of my favorite HENK projects I had to bring it back to the top for all to see. Not only was the robot great but the box art was super great! I am working on a version of my own in a chief smoky body "same as the chief robotman body that Henk used" and will post my version in a few days I hope. As henk says getting the nixie tube clock guts to fit in the body and work right is no small job. With 6 nikie tubes and 12 connections to each tube made with extention wires things can get a bit busy in there. Great Job Henk and happy Birthday on the other side!

So awesome! You have combined two of my favorite things. What a great use for Nixie tube technology.

Have you sent images over to the tube clock database website?

• 10 years later...