Top Posters In This Topic

• H.I. Gosses

• robothut

• dratomic

• Russell

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HI,

I like that one! Is the plastic dome made of chrome?

How did you do it.?

Please speak very slowly with small words - my technical knowledge (on most things) is very limited :)

regards

Rt

Well for those of you who own an eyeglass or a microscope, here is a picture

of a nixie clock robot. -referred to in the past by Darryll

The robot was an empty shell, no base, motor, battery-compartment or cover.

It also lacked, most worryingly, an ear-dome. To my surprise I was able to make that, after all

attempts in tin had failed, out of a stainless-steel spoon. It needed 14 Metric tons of pressure,

but if you can apply that much, stainless steel is much more malleable than steel.

The clock is a PIC microprocessor which indicates hours, minutes and (fade over) seconds.

This clock is one of the things I hate most in this world!!!

Everything worked well seperately on the bench, but once the robot was closed,

the highfrequency signals started to cause all sorts of problems.

(For those interested: There is a highfrequency inverter that produces the 190 VDC, there is a

HF clock pulse in the processor and there is a HF module doing the multiplexing of the tubes.

And all these, like prima donna's do not like each other.)

All sorts of reflections f..-ed each other up.

Well now, after 3 weeks of blood,sweat, tears and toil, it works, so let me tell you what it does:

It shows the time (sic) It can tick very loudly in sync with the seconds, it changes between

the toplight and the eyes, (also in seconds pulse). It has a 3 colour Led (John will like this!!)

and the ears spin*.

* if the appropriate switch is thrown.

In spite of vailliant efforts, there was not enough space to make it roll around. As it is tethered to the mains

that would have been difficult anyway.

It was a commission, and I hope the patron will be pleased with it.-not bothered by all the tears of

utter frustration and despondency I cried in the midst of the night....

Here is a CU of a nixie tube. All the digits are behind each other. The chicken wire in the front is the Anode,

and when you connect one of the numbers to the cathode it will light up the neon in front of it . (Grosso Modo..)

This goes with electronic speed and these tubes, that cost a fortune in the fifthies and sixties, were the precursor

of the LCD and LED indicators of today.

The greatest fun is that you see the light "walking" backwards and forwards inside the tube.

They are fascinating to watch. Every metering device in my house,

that could be converted to nixies, uses them.

They are lovingly referred to as "Electronic Campfire"

... and they should not be installed in tin robots!

Yes R. the toplight is turned from solid aluminium, following the same dimensions as the plastic original.

It has a diamond like faceted red light on the top and a very bright light inside.

post-2-1131054400.jpg

Nixietube_CU.jpg

Guest neatstuff

Ok, I have a few words about this robot....IT'S REALLY, REALLY, REALLY COOL!

It blows the doors off most all the other altered production robots that we have been looking at lately. This and Johns Rigg productions totally RULE!! Simply Just fantastic....I'm telling you guys, some of these designs you have come up with are very worthy of mass producing! This is amazing stuff and I can't wait to see what ya come up with next!

Happy Collecting,

Bill.

Apart from the #$%^&*&^)})aaaa#@! electronic, everything went well .

Making the box, I always find a joy.

Due to the restrictions my ,-or RT's computor, poses on the size of pictures

the box comes in installments.

Here's the top.

post-2-1131125279.jpgtopdoos_email.JPG

Well Bill, you mass produce them! I'll think them out, though even thinking about this one is painful..

Here is the longside of the box.

RTlongside.jpgpost-2-1131055748.jpg

..... which in the natural order of things, is followed by the .............

(drumroll) Short-side.

(I'll spare you the bottom, the staples etc..)

RTshorside.jpgpost-2-1131055965.jpg

Guest neatstuff

I suppose since it uses 220 volts for it's power source, it may not be so good for the toddlers in the family! But still......it's so unique and well made looking it's top notch!

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

I've always wanted a nixie clock, and have considered buying some of the ones I've seen on web sites and stuff... never had the money at the time the urge hit me to make a purchase.

However, this one blows them all away. The giant tubes look PERFECT inside Chief Robotman's chassis. The toy still maintains the fine balance and proportion that make the original so spectacular.

Great job Henk. Definitely a piece to be proud of.