Tips: Jeff's Helpful Robot Tips

Jeff W

Never clean the face visor of a Mechanised Robot using furniture polish and a heavy hand.

Mine had a near perfect visor but was dirty and cloudy so I set about it with the above tools.

I don't know if it was the polish or the heat from over rubbing but stress must have somehow been relieved in the plastic and it ended up with hundreds of tiny stress cracks all over it.

I could have cried, in fact, I did. :(

I remember cleaning clear styreme windshields of model cars when I was a youngling with Varsol. I once 'washed' my JO-HAN Hearse kit with it to shine it up. My brother exclaimed, "What did you do....you'll melt it"!

Sure enough, the windshields clouded and became multi-stress-cracked and my hearse clouded and twisted. I think I sort of cried too! :o

Never ignore the stories of flattened wheels. Never ignore the advice about rotating a toy's wheels. When a friend makes acrylic "soles" to place under robots' feet, thus lifting their wheels off of the surface on which they stand, remember that he's doing so for a very good reason.

Especially when the temperature rises, every day, above 90 degrees.

*sigh*

Did you know robots can stick to their shelves? Me neither. That was this afternoon's fun little lesson.

Dr. Atomic, the wheels sticking is usually caused by a chemical

reaction with the surface. Never put rubber on a faux wood

vinyl surface. Vinyl and plastic paints contain "thalates" which

will soften and stick to synthetic rubber or hard plastic... :unsure:

An English friend of mine once told me that a "Sticky Wicket" is not a good thing...

If your display shelves are not glass, then buy some thin cheep single pane glass to place on your selves, then set your robots on the glass. If you want to be fancy buy a cheep mirror and glas cutter and cut it down to fit on top your shelves, its still glass and adds alot of light to the display.

My displays are glass. The situation with the wheels is a direct result of the heat. That's the only excuse I can think of. Heat, and immobility, I guess. They -- the wheels -- were somewhat softer to the touch when I examined them.

My fear is that, as Henk once explained re: wires, heating the rubber and then letting it cool will decrease the wheel's elasticity. Not a tragic situation, compared to wires, but not a great one either.

Oh well. So it goes.

• Brian.. changed the title to Tips: Jeff's Helpful Robot Tips

Archived