Robotank-1, Robotank-2 Need Help

festival

I have a robotank-1 thatturned on the head lights up and moves in different directions. I also have a robotank-2 the head does not light up and moves in a straight line. His guns light up and that is it. His voice mechanism is working but it talks to fast. You can hear words but he talks so fast it is hard to make out what he is saying. Is there a way to slow down his voice box? I have him apart but I am unwilling to try and slow it down unless I am sure. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance, Festival

I have the robot apart, I see the voice box but I don't know of any way to slow or speed up the speech. Is there any way to do this? If there isn't, I'll put it back together and live with it. If there is a way to slow it down I would give it a try. HELP, HELP,HELP, Thanks, Festival

It's probably talking in Japanese and you think it's too fast ! ! !

i was going to suggest that sh but didnt want to be like henk .- (politically incorrect). :D

:) Festival, I have never had one apart, but one question is: does it look as if the voice box is wired correctly? If it were designed to run off of one battery, and it had been rewired incorrectly to run off of both batteries in sequence, then one might imagine that it was getting twice as much power, maybe running too fast. Also, the box itsself could have an internal problem, I did work on a Talking Robot last year that had the record in it, and the tone arm pressure spring was messed up, I couldn't understand what it was saying until I got the spring fixed right. Good luck, -Larry 7

Larry, As far as I can tell, the wired have never been messed with. When I first got him, the battery compartment was loose. I had a friend fix that. He said that he oiled all the gears. When I first got him, the voice was working perfectly. You could understand every word. Now the voice is so fast that the words are hard to make out. Do you know of anything I can do to slow it up a bit? Maybe a weak battery? Thanks, Festival

Festival- Check out this link to a picture posted by Tatto Shane from another thread.

http://www.tattoosandtoys.com/images_yours/TalkBox.jpg

If this is the style of talkbox that you are dealing with, then the ring at the top of the picture that runs along a wire and a spring I believe is for adjusting the speed. Try sliding it back and forth and see if that has any effect.

Go to an electronics shop and buy a couple of small diodes. Put 1. 2, or 3 in series with the

plus of the voice-box. This will decrease the voltage. (hence the speed).

Take the plus line and be sure to install the diodes with the ring or marker towards the motor.

Alternative: Listen faster.

Alternative: Listen faster.

Non-working Robotank Z

purchAsed on ebay------------------$225

Battery box repair by friend--------$75

Broadband connection so you

can connect to the internet and

solicit advice on voicebox repair

from Alphadrome---------------------$69.99

Advice from Henk---------------------PRICELESS! :lol:

Thanks everyone, I think the solutions may be with Fineas J. Whoopie recomends. I will look and try when I get home, Festival

Certainly Finneas is has the right solution, if this is a "deluxe, goldplated, special jubilee,

state of the art, professional, top of the line" version, that has this speed control.

Which is nothing more than a lenght of Nicro resistive wire with a brush-contact.

So it becomes a variable resistor and it, -yes,...yes...YES!- reduces the voltage.

If you do have an "accelerator-pedal" and you can reach it, use that, otherwise use the diodes.

Why diodes and not resistors, you might ask.

A resistor dissipates the excess voltage and turns it into heat,

something you do not want in a battery operated toy that needs all the power it can get.

A diode only reduces the voltage. (more or less true.. )

Diodes of this kind cost about $0.10 and can be used to make 1.5 Volts lightbulbs

suitable for robots and all manner of other things.

Hello everyone, IAfter work on Friday I looked to see if I had the voice box with the ring to slide which would have controled the speed of the speech. NO GOOD. The only thing that I could find was a screw that you could loosen or tighten to put pressure or release pressure on the record. I tried batteries that are almost dead, thinking that would slow up the speech but no good. I guess that I will have to live with it. It could have been worse, voice box taken out , etc. Thanks for all your help. I thought that Finas A. Whoopie really had a solution. Thanks, Festival

Archived