Yonezawa Space Exlporer (TV) Dreaded Nonworking Space Explorer

Sonny Young

Greetings all. I've seen the threads so I know this is one of the most dreaded repair jobs, and believe me, I ain't about to dissect a Space Explorer. I'm just curious about something.

I have a nice looking red SE, but I've never had the pleasure of watching it in action. The lights go on and the motor spins. After taking the TV screen off, I see no damaged to gears. In fact the toy looks like new.

Could this be a simple thing? I've always wondered. As always, I appreciate your input.

If the motor spins, the motor spins, i.e. it does not drive anything.

That would mean that any of the gears that are supposed to be pinned

to a shaft, idles over it . Or alternatively two gears that are supposed to be

in mesh, do not engage.

There is no alternative to opening it up, at least to the point where you can see

where the movement is not transferred any more.

With many toys it is the first,-nylon-, pinion on the motor that splits and consequently

idles over the shaft, but if my memory serves me well, the pinion in the SE

is made of brass and metal pinions do not suffer from this ill.

Bart has undertaken this repair recently, and obviously as a result of a masochistic tendency,

enjoyed it.

This robot is par excellence 90% function, so it is one of the first to repair.

As I repaired a few, it would on the other hand be one of the last I would

volunteer to repair. Maybe you should send it off to a professional or to

someone with experience. (Not me!, not me!)

good luck!

Saw 2 of these SE's absolutely pristine MIB in 1984 or '85 at the Toronto Toy Show for $425@. One brown and one red with button on head. A major Toronto collector was looking at them the same time I was and the scuttlebut around the table from all concerned was "Can they be fixed"?? That line echoed all morning at that table and there they sat for all eternity as far as I know. No one wanted to spend the bucks as they'd known their folly!! At the time, I could walk out with 4 or 5 vintage pieces for the same price, which I think I did!

Starlog's article of September 1979 told of the stripping of the gears on these guys; doesn't seem to be a toy that can handle much use but has an interesting look on the shelf either way, up or down.

As my brother said in regard to my Lincoln Corgi limo...these things are MIB because they rarely worked for long due to their heavy bodies and weak gears, never got played with/and/or returned to the store and ended up sitting in back as old store stock.

Congrats, Bart at an incredible restoration on yours, and the best of luck on yours, Sonny.

thanks guys!

as everyone knows this is a pain. its almost always a darn gear problem!!!!!!!!! as

henk once said"" THICKEN THE FREAKIN GEAR" or something like that.

the action of the robot is very cool. even the way it waddles ( KINDA LIKE THE WAY ROBERT WALKS) :D

the action of the robot is very cool. even the way it waddles ( KINDA LIKE THE WAY ROBERT WALKS) :D

I don't waddle. I lurch like a drunken sailor! B)

:) My red Explorer with head button works when I hold it in my hand or help it that last bit into the up position, but it displays just fine for me, and that's my main reason for wanting it. I have decided not to repair it any further.

You can always simply cut a popsicle stick to hold him in the up position for display, but if you want him to work, you are in for a tough time. Might be easier to sell him and go buy a working example, considering your time, anxiety, and frustration spent on the repair vs. the difference in price that you could get for yours at auction and what a working example will cost you. Good luck, -Larry 7

• Brian.. changed the title to Yonezawa Space Exlporer (TV) Dreaded Nonworking Space Explorer

Archived