Lantern RobotGuts

robothut

Got a extra lantern robot so I could take it apart, Thought I might share the in side view with you all.

post-2-1120324291.jpg

Here is the powder smoker. The spring loaded piston is pulled down by a cam in the robot and released. When the pixton is pulled down it is supposed to slowly suck in some powder and on the suddend release blow it out the mouth tube. The rubber cap on the powder bin is important if you want the powder to blow out the mouth and not back into the bin.

post-2-1120324515.jpg

here is the gear box. All the gears are metal and the finnal gear drive shaft that does all the work is square so that the arms and cams that move the leg pins, arms and pull down the powder plunger spring do not slip. They did how ever decide to solder the main large gear on this shaft to its brass hub so I guess there might have been some slipping going on at that point. The solder should take care of that.

post-2-1120324750.jpg

In side the head you can see the eye lights are soldered on the lamp end contacts so do not try to un screw the lamps with out first removeing the wires.

post-2-1120324893.jpg

It looks to be very well made, metal gears and additional soldering to keep them in position shows they have given it some thought. thanks for the inside view I was wondering myself what it looked like inside.

Are you going to give it one of your special paint jobs ?

Oh and before I forget. It is my opinion that the robot should never be sored in the foam box that it comes in. The green remote control wires might be haveing a chemical reaction with the foam inserts, you can see where it looks like the wires are eating in to the foam and that leaves the white foam that is on the wires. If you want to store your robot in its box then make sure you wrap the remote wires with a tissue paper first so the wire does not contact the foam. I would suggeest that all dealers for this toy do the same. Even if I am wrong adding the paper would not hurt anything.

• Brian.. changed the title to Lantern RobotGuts

Archived