Wires: Brittle Remote Control Wires- Argh!!

Sonny Young

Muy estimado don Finneas,

Try a supplier of off-set presses or the such. The guys that sell the ink should have this

stuff too. Otherwise someone who maintains, by now it should be, I fear, collects

typewriters.

NB! NB! It is over 20 years ago I last used this material. Nearly everything we used then,

has become proscribed by now. It is either flammable, carcinogenic, contains heavy metals,

attacks the Ozone-layer, toxic or could be swallowed by childern under 3 years of age.

- It's a true miracle hammers are not banned, as you can hit your thumb with them-. (indeed!)

So I hope it still exists. Even back then it was considered slightly dicy material.

Probably it has been replaced by something that is non-toxic and does not work.

If you find it, it should most certainly work on flat-wheels.

On a molecular level, pic shows what happens in the wire, in this case blue wire; <_<

post-2-1120079931.gif

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:) I had some rubber conditioner in an audio recorder tape head cleaning kit from TEAC years ago, smelled bad, but did a good job on rollers, probably the same stuff.

The New Lantern Robot's wire is what you want, cost you eighty or ninety dollars, you cut the wire off and mail me the remaining robot and controller, and we are both tickled pink!

Thanks for the hair dryer trick, Russell.

-Larry 7

I'll be curious to hear what Jay finds out. Obviously Ha Ha Toys has a bulk source for this stuff.

Good Topic Sonny! :P

I'm a little confused -- Russell's suggestion re: heating the wire to soften it makes sense, and I've had other collectors suggest the same thing.

However, Henk, you point out that heat causes the plastic compound in the wire to lose elastomers.

So what's the deal? Does heating the wire make it softer only in the short run, while opening up the door for stiffness later on?

"So what's the deal? Does heating the wire make it softer only in the short run, while opening up the door for stiffness later on? "

I could either compliment you on your sharp analysis of the situation,

or....

use the Dutch proverb: " This is asking for the road to your own home".

Third option:" Yes".

"..opening up the door for stiffness later on" Is a phrase I must remember.

"Darling, shall we have a romantic candle-lit diner, opening etc etc"

In which case, it pays to just let stiffening wires be. I'd rather have them a little less than flexible now than actually brittle later.

"Darling, shall we have a romantic candle-lit diner, opening etc etc"

Candles, soft music, dinner...oh yeah, and this 1200 watt hair dryer!!!

Gee, imagine what a heat gun/paint stripper could do!

Candles, soft music, dinner...oh yeah, and this 1200 watt hair dryer!!!

Gee, imagine what a heat gun/paint stripper could do!

Budda-Bing! :P

I have used this wire for years- it's red & black 2 conductor zip wire that I get at a place called the Hobby Bench, and it is used for electric trains. It costs $1.89 for 14 feet. They also have it in single, three, & four conductor. It isn't perfect, but in the absence of something better.....

post-2-1120167836.jpg

Persnally, I think I'd rather stick with the wrong wire that is cracked than good new wire in the wrong colour for the toy.

The cracked wire leaves the toy possibly not working if the cable is actually broken but at least it is original and will have a better re-sale value (if that's important to you)

Re: the hair drier thing, I used the hair drier to re-position the cable to a managable position about 3 yrs ago and left it as is. IF it is more brittle now than before, well at least I've cleaned up the straggling piece of rock hard spaghetti that was snaking around my display cabinet into something more contained.

Note. If I ever pick up R-35 I always pick up the remote too, and try and keep them the same distance apart so as not put any stress on the cables.

So far we are all in one piece!

Rt

A note about the Lantern robot wire and foam inserts. It is my opinion that the robot should never be sored in the foam box that it comes in. The green remote control wires might be haveing a chemical reaction with the foam inserts, you can see where it looks like the wires are eating in to the faom and then leaves the white foam that is on the wires. If you want to store your robot in its box then make sure you wrap the remote wires with a tissue paper first so the wire does not contact the foam. I would suggeest that all dealers for this toy do the same. Even if I am wrong adding the paper would not hurt anything.

• 7 years later...

Well here it is eight years later and I need some green 22 gauge zip cord to fix this little guy. Has anyone found a source yet?

post-143-0-96658700-1366316491_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

I had not read this article and had the problem of the wires braking off just out side the remote battery case,tried to re thread them but they would not bend without cracking.

Heated with a hair dryer (thought it was my brainwave!!!) They curved and bent and even knotted replicating the original fitting. At least they will not need to move again as they are in the battery box. All working fine and original minus about 3 inches of cable.

Also worth noting is Dux astromans dome can be reshaped holding under hot water. They tend to deform over time.

cheers

Chilli

• Brian.. changed the title to Wires: Brittle Remote Control Wires- Argh!!

Archived