Wires: Brittle Remote Control Wires- Argh!!

Sonny Young

Greetings all. Does anyone know a website where I can buy a roll of green wire similar to that used on remote control toys (eg, R35 robot). I am tired of the brittle wires breaking and decided to replace them when this happens. I'm sure the wire is still being made as repair houses charge $10 per yard (!), but I can't find where they buy it. Other colors may be helpful as well. Your help is most appreciated!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering that myself, Sonny. I believe that wire is either 20 or 22 gauge and I have never been able to find it in green. But you can buy the stuff in both clear and white for under $5 per 50 - 75 ft spool! So $10 for 3 ft is definately a major price gouge! :blink: I'll keep looking...

Wow Grandpa, that'll keep me occupied for a long time to come. What is the standard thickness for 1960s toys-- 22 gauge? I want to make sure before ordering. Thanks much!

You can find 22 guage green for $4.50 per 100' roll.

Wire link

Gramps - finding 22 gauge wire in green is not the problem - it's finding 22 gauge "zip" cord wiring (2 conductor)in green that's difficult.

I didn't see 2 conductor being a requirement in the original posts :P

Just buy white and paint it green with Krylon Fusion paint.

Sonny, I've seen both red and green zip cord on cheap Dollar Store

toys. Locally I've seen a $1 battery remote helicopter that has green

wire on it. The wire is less than 3 feet, but it's better than nothing.

Check your local Dollar Store or Flea Market... <_<

Early battery operated toys used one of two types of hook-up wire to connect the toy to the battery/control box.

Two lengths of single conductor wire were simply twisted together. Generally, two different colors were used.

The two lengths of single conductor wire were parallel to each other, molded together in a single insulation covering which could be pulled apart to yield two lengths of single conductor wire, or separated just enough at the ends to be soldered to different contact points in the toy and battery box. Generally, the insulation was the same (green) color. AKA "zip cord".

The two lengths of single conductor wire were parallel to each other, molded together in a single insulation covering which could be pulled apart to yield two lengths of single conductor wire, or separated just enough at the ends to be soldered to different contact points in the toy and battery box. Generally, the insulation was the same (green) color. AKA "zip cord".

Good explanation Joe. I just assumed Sonny was talking about zipcord cable, rather than the "braided" 2-wire on some toys. Here are examples of each:

post-2-1119984247.jpg

Yes and now that we have so brilliantly defined the problem, where do we get it??!

In the past I stood on my head to get this stuff, but to no avail. I have died white " zipcord",

(no success), I have glued together single strand (no success), and I have been on the look

out for the stuff for years (no success).

In the model railway-spheres there is yellow/brown twin-flex (as zipcord is called) but no

#$%$#!! green/green.

I have always been able to find enough from my " Donor-dogs" but if someone

finds a manufacturer, I am willing to participate to make up a minimum order.

BTW what colour is the flex from the repro Radar Robot? If green, they have it and then we can

deputize the member with the best connections to TTTTTT-Tom to get us a bunch.

Also, when I used to fool around with off-set presses we had a abysmal agent called

rubber reconditioner. This brought compacted rollers back to life. Something similar

existed for typewriter rolls. It also worked wonders on hardened flexes.

Who used to service typewriters??

post-2-1119990383.jpg

Henk -- the repro Radar robot didn't have the right color wire. It was a yellower green, if I remember correctly. Close, and nice, but definitely not the same.

I wonder why this color, of all possible colors, fell out of style.

The repro Lantern Robot by HaHa Toy uses a green "zip cord" wire that looks dead on. See this comparison photo by roboz:

It must be available somewhere!

The wires on new "dollar store" toys, as Robotnut mentioned, tend to be much thinner.

Ahhhhh!!!! I just heart that Jay* has volunteered to get a lot of the

wire and distribute it amongst the needy, -for a fee.

Let's all encourage and applaude Jay for his noble initiative!

Good thing Jay!!!

* only he himself doesn't know yet..

I wonder why this color, of all possible colors, fell out of style.

Maybe because the wire gets stiff and cracks they quit makeing it?

Archived