Robby Mechanized Robot Bulb Replacement

Nick in NY

I'm wondering if it's worth opening up a mechanized robot I have to replace what appears to be a burnt out bulb. Anyone ever do this? Would a LED be a better choice at 2.5 volts? I thank you nice folks here at Alphadrome for any info.

The only reson to replace the burnt out light would be to make the robot look and work as it did originally. So I would not do a LED conversion. If you want the robot to light up it is worth opening up and replaceing the bulb. If this is a original mechanized robot then you might as well replace the rotted and soone to break drive belt for the head effects when your in there. ;)

Thanks, robothut, you always have the sensible answer. Yes, it's an original mechanized robot, and I was thinking about replacing the belt at the same time. The reason I considered an LED was to avoid opening up the robot again at some future point for the same repair. But by then, it'll probably need a new belt again anyway. And since I only run it about a minute or two a year, I'd probably be long dead by time it needs repairs again! :)

• Where are you finding the suitable match for this flat bulb ?

What kind of lightbulb is in those Rosko Bartenders ?

• Secondly where are the rubber belt supply ? *
* besides CTT in WI-USA. They sell a near original rubber for $25.00

But wouldn't a nylon belt be longer lasting ?

Has anyone experimented with nylon belts ??

Bill at Neatstuff has been advertising a soon to open

Robby Mechanized Robot replacement parts store . . .

Hurry Neatstuff

Thank You

Can you use an o-ring for a belt? I've used them on Erector models, works better than a rubber band. Available in almost any dia. & length from places like NAPA. :unsure:

Yes O rings are what we all use, but Napa does not have the right size. Only thing is do not get a belt that fits tight, a lose fit is best, if you get a tight fit on the belt you will quickly wear out the gear box hole and shaft hole and load down the motor. At one point I found a PVC plumbing fitting that came with a o ring that was perfect size but that was years ago and I have never found the same fitting since. Seems like Fineas J. Whoopie posted a few months ago about replaceing the o ring belt so he might have a good source.

Battery dogs and repro smoking robots are good sources for the flat light bulb.

Suppliers like Radio Shack will be happily surprised to sell nowadays one of the hundreds of

rubber beltdrives they stock for tape- and cassette-recorders.

These come in round, oval and square cross-cuts.

If you do not find anything the right size, you can cut it to size

and glue it with Locktite 406. This also works for O-rings.

If properly prepared 406 also glues hands of doorrobots etc,etc.

When I replaced the belt on my Mechanized I was given the same advice about keeping it somewhat "loose". I found some O rings at a local hardware store. I bought a couple each of several different sizes so I could take them home to my robot and try them without going back and forth to the store a dozen times. The size that was the best diamiter I thought was too thin so I used two. Works great now.

Robot Fool writes:

Bill at Neatstuff has been advertising a soon to open

Robby Mechanized Robot replacement parts store . . .

Hurry Neatstuff

Thank You

I doubt Bill will be supplying these parts anytime soon as he lists Tin Tom Toys as the manufacturer of these repro parts.

:) Repro Smokers have flat bulbs.

Your local hardware store had round ones, the lamp bulb is hidden anyway, I might possibly consider just getting the correct voltage bulb and be done.

I found a suitable O-ring in an automatic transmission rebuild kit from an auto mechanic a few years ago.

Good luck, -Larry 7

Archived