Directional Robot Problem

funkrobotik

Hi Gang.

I'm trying to repair a Y Directional Robot that will not bump and go . He'll bump, but not go and I can't see how it's supposed to work.

Its not quite like other bump and go mechanisms and I wonder if any one who has this Robot can just check on this question please.

Should the wheel i've marked on the pic turn indipendent of the axle and the other wheel stay fixed to the axle and only move when the axle moves. Is that how the turning mechanism should work as when mine hits an object it just sits there churning away.

post-2-1118262791.jpg

Is there something missing in here and why is one of the wheels sprung loaded ??

A mystery indeed !

post-2-1118263376.jpg

There is nothing missing and yes one wheel is supposed to be a slip clutch that is spring loaded. The robot would not bump and go if one wheel was not on a slip clutch that is spring loaded, You see when the robot hits something if both wheels kept driveing on a robot this large, with wheels this large and set far apart it would just keep trying to go forward but if one wheel can stop turning or turn slower this will make the compleat drive wheel assembly want to rotate and go off in a new direction. this is a common drive system for the 1950 and early 1960's. Now if one wheel slipped all the time the robot would not go forward.

New drive systems use smaller wheels set closer together and normaly the wheels run faster as well, in these cases the unit will have enough slop that one wheel will lose traction and the unit will turn in a new direction.

That's the funny thing then Robothut.

It appears to be present and correct , one fixed wheel, one slipping wheel and yet when he hits an object he just keeps driving on in there and makes no effort to turn.

Thanks for that Robothut, greatly appreciated. At least I know nothing is missing.

Compared to newer bump and go robot the Directional robot is not a real good bump and goer some times. but make sure that your drive unit when assembled can turn freely then try the robot on a different surface, if the wheels do not get enough traction then they both slip and the robot will not turn away. Also if the rubber part of the tires is hard and brittle or dried out then you have the same problem the tires do not have enough traction for one to grab and one to slip and so the rotate and turn away action does not work well.

You were right on all counts Robothut.

I cleaned the whole thing with brake cleaner, Squeezed the gearbox side a little to reduce the spring tension on the free wheel and buffed up the tyres to get rid of the hard shine. It works a 100% better.

As you said though, the principle does not lend it's self to being a great bump and goer. If the robot hits at an angle, OK, but if it hits an object at 90% then it struggles. Modern laminate floors dont help much either.

Having said this it is still one of the most fun robots to watch in action.

• Brian.. changed the title to Directional Robot Problem

Archived