1981 - Six Horikawa Robots

Joe K.

I see that the master Time Line list:

http://www.danefield.com/alpha/timeline.htm

does not have a single entry for the year 1981. This catalog sighting should remedy the situation.

See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...6962363554&rd=1

And, specifically:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...6962363554&rd=1

Looks like six Horikawa robots:

Chrome "Acrobat" Robot. I'm not sure what Horikawa's name for this robot is. It was copied by many other Hong Kong manufactures over the years. Anyone have it?

Sharpshooter Robot by Horikawa. See Botho Wagner, page 46, item #35.

Engine Robot by Horikawa. See Botho Wagner, page 45, item #32.

This one has already been spotted in a 1979 Horikawa catalog.

I can't remember if the name of this blue colored robot by Horikawa is Sounder Robot or Sounding Robot. I'll have to dig out my box to confirm.

Super Astronaut by Horikawa. See Tin Toy Robots by Green Arrow Graffitti, page 83 (Japanese Box) or Morita, page 93 (English Box). This one, also, has previously been documented in a 1979 Horikawa catalog.

TV Spaceman by Horikawa. This looks like the earlier dark brown color variation (it also came in blue) with the chrome TV screen edging. The box for this toy is on the cover of this catalog, in the lower right hand corner.

Hi Joe

Thanks for the interesting info re the catalogue. The robot you wasn't sure if his name was Sounder or Sounding robot....pretty sure it is Sounding Robot.....I used to have it.

Ranger

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Joe I now have photocopies of this particular catalog. The index page is very interesting because, as Joe pointed out to me, it is amazing how many of the great toy manufacturers from the fifties and sixties were still in business in 1981. Sorry Joe but I had to crop the page so I could get a legible image small enough to upload.

post-4-1118980710.jpg

I have to post the text seperately from the rest of the page in order to keep the picture large enough to read and the file small enough to post. This is the text that goes with the Horikawa page (E) above.

post-4-1118986721.jpg

Page G is from Ichimura. I actually have three of these little flying saucers (second row down on the left) and a counter display box with the Ichimura "Indian head" logo.

post-4-1118983404.jpg

Page I is Masudaya. There is a radio remote control version of the M-50 space ship as well.

post-4-1118984260.jpg

Page U is Yoneya wich brings us back to a few robots, the Ray Robot and the Robot King at bottom right, plus Zig Zag UFO at top right.

post-4-1118985516.jpg

The text for the Yoneya page. I personally don't think I've seen the Robot King before, is that a pretty un-common one?

Now that these pages are posted did you have any closing comments Joe?

post-4-1118985757.jpg

No, Don, other than to thank you for making the time and effort to add these pieces to the Time Line puzzle.

I'd be great if other Alphadromers with catalogs would do the same.

:) Wow, I love the full proper company names and addresses! I wish that I lived near, I would try them, of course 24 years later! -L7

Archived