Smoker Units For Projects

robothut

Henk I will make a few posts as I find all the info. but first in the case of your Motor Robot project, this is a 3 D cell robot (4.5 volts) so I would use the smoker from a Puff Puff train they are cheep around $15 bucks or less and are 4.5 volts. here is a picture. You will have to make your own fan or bellows to move the smoke as the train uses the air movement from the whistle in the toy.

post-2-1117035494.jpg

If this were a 3 volt project I would say use the smoker from a Magic Mike II robot as you can always find a junker for a few bucks and the smokers work well and can be refilled with smoke oil. But now for a real smoker. I have known about these Zero Blasters for many years now but have not built one in to a robot yet. The company Zero Toys sells blaster guns that shoot smoke rings, they sell large guns and mini guns, this could make a cool robot that blows smoke rings as that is what these guns do, but getting the bellows in the gun to work in a robot could be a problem, so I would use there WIZZARD STICK as it is called for $13.95. you get a smoke generator that you can hold in your hand. it is designed for 6 AA bayyerys (9 volts) so that may be a problem in your design. But these things realy kick out the smoke.

http://www.zerotoys.com?

post-2-1117035904.jpg

I will add a picture or web site as soon as I find the info. but this might be the best solution for your smoking robot project. They make add on smoking units for Train guys to use, you know like garden railroad guys , G gauge stuff. The unit I saw at my dads house was very small it was voltage regulated "at 5 volts I think" so that the unit works no mater what the track voltage. all surface mount electronics and a little tiny micro fan unit that blows the smoke, this way you can have the smoker located any place . As you know with bellows type smoking system the smoker unit must be located right at the out put port because bellow only move air back and forth, so a long pipe on the smoker output that uses a bellows has to have a beelows that can move more air than the pipe can hold or it can never get out the end of the pipe. So with a fan unit you can pipe the smoke to any location.

OK here it is, Micro Mart again.

Smoking chimneys make model factories appear hard at work, add warmth to a dollhouse fireplace setting or diorama campfire, and create that extra touch of realism for model locomotives. Our fan-driven smoke generator operates on 6-24v DC (draws 1/2 amp) and creates more smoke than traditional heater-coil type units. It has a large reservoir -- holds up to 75 drops of smoke fluid -- to increase the time between fill-ups, and employs special circuitry that shuts off the generator when fluid runs low to prevent burnout. Overall size: 1-1/4 x 2 x 1-1/4 inches high. Includes 1/2 inch dia. x 2-1/2 inch high detachable smoke stack and pluggable wire leads. Smoke fluid available separately.

cost is $39.95

part number is #82602

http://www.micromark.com

post-2-1117037035.jpg

Here's a use for these smoke units....how 'bout some old 'Modified Stocker' kits outfitted with 'em?? That'd be too cool!

These are what I got into building again after the (temporary) 'seizing of the robots' in the lat 1980's!

post-2-1117071371.jpg

Hey, I know, not robot related....but if you remember the old 'bots, especially if you're into autos you probably remember the 'roundy-round Saturday night late model stocker battles at your local track... :P

post-2-1117073692.jpg

Morbius, set fire to these models and they smoke like hell..

I am still brooding on smokers that are not dependant on a mechanism to drive bellows.

An evening of experiments showed that small solenoids from matrix printers can be used as

pistons to propel smoke from continiously heated smokepots. Simple electronics make these

move at regular intervals. They are meant,-I think- to work on 5 V.,

but reducing a couple of windings make them suitable for 3V.

However the idea of having the smoke propel it self remains very seductive.

Let me explain: Oil or smoking fluid enters a chamber through a narrow entrance

more or less blocked by mineral wool. On the otherside of the chamber

there is a larger, free opening.

The oil/fluid is heated very quickly. So is becomes gaseous and expands.

Where does it go? Out through the larger opening!

(I think I have just invented the inkjet printer..)

Please discuss.

Henk, I stopped setting fire to these type of kits about 30 years ago!! Firecrackers were great for 'flaring' torpedo holes in ships! And yes, a few of the above 'smoked like hell' when I was 'battle-damaging' them! B)

...and I DO understand your explanation of the above smoking mechinism.

Thank you for the clarification.

Another good source for 6 volt smokers is on the TOBY and the Magnotron MT2/ Robotron MT2 robots. these large plastis robots are real cheep junkers to buy and you will get bellows and lights as well.

The robot can be seen on page 26 bottom row of the robot hut collection is case you are not sure what robots I mean.

• Brian.. changed the title to Smoker Units For Projects

Archived