Motor Robot

H.I. Gosses

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!!!!!!! I just love it. This box art just has it all. Great background scenery, great looking robot, and a real pizzazz.

Hopefully Brian will bring relief. I mailed him some pictures, but most Europeans

are asleep now so here is my own small scale contribution.

post-2-1116901567.jpg

Henk,

As usual that is fantastic work!!! I'd love one of those. Is that based on the yellow and red Horikawa Super Giant? Some of the details on yours kind of suggests it.

post-2-1116904829.jpg

WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!! :lol:

That's SOME great improvement over the Super Giant. I thought the SG was a terrific item in February 1982 but was always disappointed with the head style...lacks essential robotic elements somehow. I purchased the grey version earlier on about 1980.

Thanks a lot Brian!

I suppose the max. one should strive for is 1024 x768, as that would avoid the use of the scrollbar in a

post (?). Especially the file for the box is massive*. 4700x3200, which a would want to reduce to max of

1000 for RT.

* The picture is made in PhotoShop and most of the colours are samples of actual boxes. Instead of

drawing with a pencil or brush, I draw with the pattern stamp. (are you paying attention, David?)

A pastiche of a japanese box should have several features.

For starters every item has different vanishing points.

Also in this robot there are 3-4 different perspectives.

The brown car on the left for ex. is in a totally different landscape to the others.

There should be lots of recommendations in text.

Preferably doing an injury to the English language and/or spelling.

If things become too difficult to draw, stick in a photograph.

Blend it in but keep it BW. (in this case the HD logo).

The robot indeed started life as the giant shooting robot, with the unfortunate head.

The new head is an "Illy" coffeecan (shortened).

The eyes are custom tin, with flat 4.5v bulbs.

Nose, ears, mouth and exhaust=fabricated tin.

The quadruple, plastc tits on the doors were cut out, so only a frame remained,

then this was re-covered with plastic sheet and decorated.

The guns were removed and replaced with a picture of the engine room.

The cylinders are cut out again and stuck on a piece of translucent red plexiglass.

so they stand out. Ideally this should be a tin, lithoed pressing.

The whole thing was sandblasted and resprayed in a, -deliberately-, non heroic colour.

The decoration consists of vinyl stickers, (doors and engine) + waterslide decals (dials, top of

the head, mouth) After all deco was applied there were 3 coats of clear varnish added.

The arms are very difficult. I did not want to cast them solid.

So I milled the two flat outsides in 10mm trespa.

Then milled an receding edge in that and glued a 18 mm wide strip of tin all around,

following the contour. To get rid of the sharp edge, I soldered a lenght of 1 mm wire to the edge.

NB. This is not the way to do it! I suppose it should have been cast in a mould with a filling piece or

3-D Milled in Something. (Grandpa, help!!!)

I have 4 more of these great big ugly beasts. So I wonder what to do next.

I think I will castrate the rotate-O-matic in one of them and just have it as a,- very large-,

walking robot, with or without opening doors.

I hope you like it and.....don't try this at home*.

* if you want to keep your sanity.

Archived