Hook Robot Box

David Kirk

What do you suppose that hook robot box on ebay will go for? I was thinking at least over 5K. Maybe 10K? I've never seen one. It mentions that the toy is mid fifties, on authority from some book, but it looks to be based on Chief Robot Man, rather than Robert, so I would expect it has to be early sixties. Is there any record of Chief Robot Man before 1962?

david, have you illustrated any robots, besides Nova ? i would love to see some box art or other interpretations by you, in a large poster size. i have scanned a few of my cool robot boxes and had them printed out by a large format printer, they look pretty good.

David-tis a rare box indeed-but not Even close to $10,000. Remember that the robot/box combo sold for $8,400 at the Griff auction-this is box only. I believe Hook to be a 1955-57 robot and earlier than chief robotman. I believe he is the first robot by the Japanese to have been copied from the American robert the robot. The lithoed riviting and face design are almost exact copies. Of course many other varients followed.

The thing that made me think that they copied it from Chief Robot Man, or maybe from both he and Robert, is the ears. It has those rectangular embellishments under the dome of the ear. Robert doesn't have them. It seems to me that the simpler wind-up robots usually came from the big battery ops and not the other way around, which makes me think the hook was after the Chief. Some of these robots that are presumed to be really early, like Winky, turn out to be early sixties when you look through old catalogs. I agree though that he does have a fifties look.

Oh! and Mr. X, I'm afraid I haven't done anything but Nova as far as robot art. I'm busy making a robot from tin cans and a Schylling astronaut though. I hope I'll manage at least a box top for him. I'll post it if I ever get it done!

Archived