Wire Melt

H.C.

So what actually causes this phenomena? The infamous burn mark across the plastic varying in degree on how the control cable was laid to rest albeit during a long period of storage. Chemical reaction between the hard plastic of the toy and plastic insulator of the wire? Any insight greatly appreciated. I have a fairly nice robot with this burn mark and it's bugging me as too how it got there... :(

sometimes its a chemical reaction between two kinds of plastic but I think it's how the toy was stored. If there is any heat where it is stored for years at a time, I think the wire inside heats up to a point that melts the wire into the plastic on the body. the rubber insulation from the wire can take the heat more than the plastic body. If the wire is wrapped around the toy, that is the worst way to store it.

Its a chemical reaction, we have discussed this in the past archives. Even the soft plastic ears of the Ranger Robot where they touch the hard plastic head was discussed. New toy that have syrofoam inserts in the box and the toy has a flexible plastic control cable the cable seems to eat into the foam. Best not to store these flexable plastic wires/cables in contact with other types of plastic for long periods of time.

John is correct, it is chemical...

I consulted a friend in the plastic biz and there are a group

of chemicals called Thalates. Thalates are added to the plastic

formula to keep it flexible indefinately. If a soft plastic contacts

a hard plastic, thalates will transfer from one to the other,

making the hard plastic soft. When this softening occurs it is

irreversible, the only way to stop it, is remove the damaged

area. If the damaged area is small, it can become hard

again if it is left to the air for several years. Even soft plastic

will eventually "dry out". I've notice many new toys have started

to melt right on the store shelf. My son who has a huge action

figure collection, has noticed that soft accessories transfer