Gustav!

dratomic

I wasn't able to get in on the first wave of Henk's Gustav robots, but thankfully, he made a second batch -- and I actually had some available cash this time. #14 just arrived in NYC today, and I couldn't be happier with him. The craftsmanship stands heads and shoulders (and antennas) above much of the new toys coming out of China these days, and the robot has a satisfying heft that reminds me of the old (and new) Zoomers and ST-1s. This toy is solid. It works well, with a strong walk and satisfying sparks. (Though the latter can be a bit hit-and-miss -- nonetheless, I think this just puts it one step closer to the real thing!)

The toy's facial expression captures that weird mix of mechanical blankness and subtle life that, again, calls to mind the ST-1 and Zoomer, as well as the various S.N.K. robots like Sparkling Mike and Flashy Jim. Nothing has as much impact as a toy that falls close enough to human that it becomes recognizable, but remains distant enough to give off a feeling of alien otherness. It disorients; it makes us question the definition of humanity, and whether or not we, the actual humans, always fall within the accepted boundaries. And if not, why not?

At least, such toys make me think about these things.

I love Gustav's box art, too. Not only does it capture the spirit of the vintage packaging, but the illustration stands on its own as a wonderful piece of science fiction art. I don't collect boxes, as a rule, but I'll certainly enjoy owning this one. I think the sticker inside the top piece, which reads, "Amps: nil , kW: 0.002, Volts: 0.00, Model: Gustav, Serial N-: 014" was an amusing touch.

Fantastic job, Henk, and thanks so much for making these robots available to us.

Now, for your next trick...

Guest Brian.

I also received Gustav today. I guess I expected something that had at least a trace of the home-made look. I am ashamed of my reservations, Henk, and I prostrate (at my age it's prostate) myself for having had any such thoughts. The close up picture really doesn't do justice to the finish.

Now I know why John Rigg and the other craftsmen pay so much attention to these remodellings: you end up with an original and endearing little robot.

Hang on Brian,what you and dratomic say about Gustav is exactly what I said isn't it? :D

Well...he is here.....and in true British style..."it's alright I suppose". Now for us British that is true praise indeed. I was so excited I had to put the kettle back on and have a second cup of tea and even had 2 extra chocolate biscuits.

Thanks Henk....great achievement!

Being a bit more serious for a moment though Brian and dratomic......I don't think anyone could be disappointed with Gustav....he really is an excellent robot!

Agreed, Ranger. We don't have anything like the understatement you Brits seem capable of displaying, so in lieu of such wryly displayed enthusiam, I'll just down a case of beer and wander up and down Lexington avenue while singing drunken sailor songs in tribute to this fine example of robot construction.

By the way, if anyone wants to pawn their toy to get me bail money, I'm probably going to appreciate it in, oh, about three hours...

Well, proud to present Gustav #16. He will remain in good old Holland, his country of birth, and recently joined his (regretfully still limited numbered) robot friends.

Henk, thanks! :)

post-2-1113505645.jpg

Ah! Thank you all for the kind words! Specially praise the grand imperial wizzard of Wheaton,

who attached the grand seal of approval to my humble doings, has given great pleasure.

Dratomic made some very clever and sensitive comments, but then.. he is family.

And last but not least, Atomic Guy makes me proud to have Dutch blood flowing through my

veins. He so rightly symbolises that which gives our small nation such a outstanding position in the world.

..... the BULB.

All the same, thanks all.

And indeed the good doctor has indicated the hardest point:

the next job.

Archived