Yone Tin Litho Space Gun

Tinman

Not sure this is the proper place but I found this auction:

Space Gun

Was wondering about the history of this gun. I won one on ebay a while back for $10 and it has all the markings of the gun in the auction including the box. Are there repros of this gun? Would repros use the Yone marking? I see some go for fair money and others not sell at all. I'm not interested in the value, I'm just trying to understand what I have.

Guest neatstuff

Hello Tinman,

This could very well be the repro. Rocket USA produced a few years back. The auction picture sure looks like a fresh/new item to me.

I know of a website that has these in stock. (You may guess what site that is?)

Anyway, they do indeed have the Y and say made in Japan, both on the box and gun. The site I'm speaking of sells them for $25.00 with free shipping!

Happy collecting,

Bill.

Thanks Bill. I would think the repros wouldn't be marked "Y". How's a guy (newbie like me) supposed to tell the difference! :huh:

Tinman93 -

The logo that is on this box (a "Y" in a circle) is not the logo for Yonezawa or Yone. The auction seller mis-identified it as Yonezawa. The Yonezawa logo consists of the letter "Y" in a five leaf flower type symbol. The logo for Yone (which is actually shortened from the company's true name, Yoneya) consists of the letters "YONE" inside a diamond shape. This style logo has been used since 1964. Prior to 1964, the Yoneya logo consisted of the letters "S" followed by a "period" and the letter "Y" (S.Y) inside a double diamond shape.

William C. Gallagher's book, Japanese Toys - Amusing Playthings From the Past, Schiffer Publishing, 2000, ISBN 0-7643-1129-8, has a ten page chapter illustrating the various trademarks/logos used by Japanese manufacturers. This might not be a bad reference book to add to your library. There are even some robots illustrated in the book, as well!

Gallagher's book does show a logo that consists of the letter "Y" in a circle. It is identified as belonging to the company: Sanko. I'm not sure if this is the exact same logo that appears on the ray gun .

Archived