Ideal astro base toy troubleshooting & repairs

jimidg55

I only see folks showing their working Astro Base that have been repaired or restored, but can't find ANYWHERE that shows the troubleshooting and repairs? I have a very nice Ideal Astro Base that will not do anything with 4 new D batteries installed. I tested the top terminals on battery compartment and get 6V but no voltage registering at any point beyond where the batteries tie into the mechanism? I removed the DC motor and disassembled it to clean and synthetic oiled it making it work properly and reinstalled it to the mechanism. No power is reaching the wire ends that connect to the motor terminals. I've seen mechanical schematic drawings and working units demonstrated but no where on the net have I found any documented restorations? This is a very desired toy for collectors and pretty complicated mechanics but no one showing it being troubleshooted seems odd? I can't imagine anyone finding one that works when new batteries are installed?

Just use a volt meter and work your way from the 6 volts at the battery box to the next place the connections go. You will find where it stops in no time and then fix whatever the problem is.

I tried that but the connections are metal rivets with mild rust on each. I'm not getting 6volts anywhere after the two top terminals that stab into the battery compartment? The wires are 18 ga. with very nice vinyl insulation in tact. I won't give up troubleshooting, but it hasn't been easy at any point? Do you know if anyone has documented a restoration of an Ideal Astro Base anywhere? It's odd that no one has shared the restorations on such a desirable/collectable toy?

A repair video would not help you trouble shoot your loss of power threw bad rivets and metal connections. Start with one lead of the voltmeter on one of the battery connections that you know you have power at, then with the other lead start working your way from the other battery connection. When you find the voltage has stopped then you must clean, replace or jump that bad connection with a new wire. Grind down a clean spot and solder a wire back to where you last had power.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping not to grind anything down in hopes of not defacing it? The wire connections are very robust and the rivets look like steel since they have rust?

The clear plastic dome covering the radar array is not scratched but is yellowed? Do you have a method to remove the yellow? I have tried plastic polish with a micro cloth but nothing changed?

I have never tried this myself, but here is one method:

And I supposed you could try to polish it: