Rare Robot Car Surfaces !

roboz

A friend of mine sent me these glorious pics from an overseas collector

People speculated on & off that this car was "faked" 

Well now you see it in it's full glory with it's magnificent box!

Same makers as the Robot War Boat

Maybe someone could add to the database ? 

robot car 1.jpg

robot car 2.jpg

robot car 3.jpg

robot car 4.jpg

Incredible rare box! Fantastic piece! 

Thank you for sharing.

18 hours ago, roboz said:

Maybe someone could add to the database ?

Ozzie, you need to have a word with your IT guy to get some permissions in place.

Great box, though. 

Very cool box! Ha Ha, the box artwork shares a strong semblance to a futuristic Lake Shore Drive in Chicago... 

This discovery was posted a few weeks ago already by Plasticaugie

Call me paranoid but nothing about this box looks right to me.  A simple sniff test could easily address my doubts (the scent of a 70 year old cardboard box can’t be faked (probably)), of course, but it looks odd (and so does the car)

The artwork is very one dimensional and has no movement and a very limited colour palette. It looks like it could have been painted by a talented artist like Phil and made yesterday. The box could have been restored recently explaining the very crisp edges, but why does it look like the box is darker in the center? Is it because of poor resolution photos or was it because the watercolour painting got a bit wetter in the centre? The lettering on the side also doesn’t look perfect.

photos from Plasticaugie’s post below 

IMG_0816.jpeg.a9ece8ba1a8877af553df8d31414073f.jpeg

IMG_0815.jpeg

I've seen the car and only have heard about the box - really something special and of course rare...thank yo for sharing.

It's an odd box, but it's also an odd piece by a manufacturer that we don't see much from. I suppose it could be faked, but without seeing it up close, I wouldn't think we could be sure. I find it odd that "Robot Car" is so small on the box top, but that doesn't say anything about its provenance. I like that the backseat robot is watching at an upright screen. I would think the differences between the toy and the box actually add to the possibility that it's authentic. If somebody was faking the box, you'd think they'd try to be a little closer to the toy. I looked up the Robot War Boat box thinking it might reveal something, but it's quite different, at least compositionally and has a more dynamic look, like other action toys.

5 hours ago, RoboCopy said:

This discovery was posted a few weeks ago already by Plasticaugie

Call me paranoid but nothing about this box looks right to me.  A simple sniff test could easily address my doubts (the scent of a 70 year old cardboard box can’t be faked (probably)), of course, but it looks odd (and so does the car)

The artwork is very one dimensional and has no movement and a very limited colour palette. It looks like it could have been painted by a talented artist like Phil and made yesterday. The box could have been restored recently explaining the very crisp edges, but why does it look like the box is darker in the center? Is it because of poor resolution photos or was it because the watercolour painting got a bit wetter in the centre? The lettering on the side also doesn’t look perfect.

photos from Plasticaugie’s post below

IMG_0816.jpeg.a9ece8ba1a8877af553df8d31414073f.jpeg

IMG_0815.jpeg

Thanks for the solid, I thought I was in an alternate universe for a minute. The owner of that toy is a Japanese fellow who is an Instagram contact of mine, there is more detail in my original post. He brought the toy and box to an Antique Roadshow type TV show where he presented it to Kittihara and asked about the ET CO on the box. He also exhibited his collection at a Museum of art, its all in the original post. 

2 hours ago, David Kirk said:

I looked up the Robot War Boat box thinking it might reveal something, but it's quite different, at least compositionally and has a more dynamic look, like other action toys.

It's not the Robot War Boat, it's the Atomic Boat made by ET CO. 

Plasticaugie apologies , I didn't see your thread & still don't 

not that it matters It's not like I'm trying to claim dibs on this

in fact I was surprised it wasn't posted earlier

Correct on the Boat - misstated it 

As for the box - it is authentic , I know of the other example that exists

atomic boat.jpeg

Brian - yes 100% on the permissions

Just need to know who the volunteers are

For whatever reason when I log in

I can't see pictures & I have a few other issues/gremlins going on

that aren't there when I'm checking things not logged in 🤨

10 minutes ago, roboz said:

Plasticaugie apologies , I didn't see your thread & still don't 

not that it matters It's not like I'm trying to claim dibs on this

in fact I was surprised it wasn't posted earlier

Correct on the Boat - misstated it 

As for the box - it is authentic , I know of the other example that exists

atomic boat.jpeg

lt does deserve its own thread, there was a honeymoon car thread but if it's archived I guess it's closed, maybe you could merge the threads?