Stan gave me some space junk to play with.

robothut

John, interesting , the box mentions cockpit AND afterburner lights, and the side of the box shows lightening bolts at the exhaust. And when you have opened a few, you never have seen a bulb in the red exhaust , correct ?FCE45DA4-EB8A-4ECB-A226-B21FE8049A4E.jpeg.55f9ca91ff20f8c265396ee05a87cca5.jpeg

Not on any of the ones that I have repaired in the 20 years. I remember mine having a light in the exhaust and I also remember mine had a different translucent red for the exhaust. So I just thought I had added the light as a kid and was remembering the type of translucent plastic wrong. But maybe not. Could be they changed those things to cut costs after the first year or so.

A few years ago I saw one for sale on eBay and the seller mentioned that the exhaust light worked. It wouldn't be surprising if the manufacturer eliminated the light later in the production run but you would think that the "afterburner light" would be a key marketing feature for the toy!

From the Alphadrome archives:

"Back-to-front improbable design tin battery op bump and go space capsule Friend Ship / Friendship. US Army. "Cockpit, afterburner lights smoke and mystery action" The blue, white and red lithograhed capsule has a dome at the back containing a yellow tin astronaut sitting at a dashboard with a red flashing light. A lighted red plastic engine has been placed at the other end. The capsule has a bump and go action with two rotating wheels and two fixed wheels. Corrugated skin pattern."

Yes, the database states that about the lighted exhaust,  it could be just describing the toy from the photo and what the box states