Mr Atomic, real?

sigbrando

1 hour ago, Lunik said:

Suggest you keep him as is. Anything new on him would look strange

team Lunik on this one.

Goodness, it's rare enough to find anything good these days, let alone at a bargain price. Congratulations.

7 hours ago, Lunik said:

What a well experienced old robot.

Suggest you keep him as is. Anything new on him would look strange.

This veritably worn condition, worn, not destroyed, is rarer to be found than the well preserved pieces. People paying high prices for guitars in worn look, even for as if worn. Well, not everybody has had the luck to live in the 60s.

I agree, i’m just going to clean it.

Thanks

9 hours ago, sigbrando said:

Italy.

I wonder what journey it made.

I'm not suprise, the  60"s Italian toy market seemed opened to japanese and science fiction toys.

9 hours ago, sigbrando said:

I agree, i’m just going to clean it.

Sigbrando, we have had a very early robot toy collector here from Paris, a very well respected guy with one of the richest and most tasteful collections at its time  - R.I.P. Armand - He used to say:

„Never clean an old robot. At max blow away the dust“. 

If you have not yet started applying car polish etc on your treasure, put it away for a while. Get used to it. Replace the ear with some shiny repro if you like. But think about the body becoming clean with rust spots. You can‘t get it back to the smooth used looks. 

Anyway, we all love to have the fun our way.

Klaus has a point. When I see the patina on this robot, I agree it adds a lot of character to the item.

(I tend to clean my robots with Maguire 26 (suggestion from Kirk/Martian Gil) and I enjoy it, but it certainly takes away some of the authenticity)

4 hours ago, Lunik said:

Sigbrando, we have had a very early robot toy collector here from Paris, a very well respected guy with one of the richest and most tasteful collections at its time  - R.I.P. Armand - He used to say:

„Never clean an old robot. At max blow away the dust“. 

If you have not yet started applying car polish etc on your treasure, put it away for a while. Get used to it. Replace the ear with some shiny repro if you like. But think about the body becoming clean with rust spots. You can‘t get it back to the smooth used looks. 

Anyway, we all love to have the fun our way.

I dusted it and tried to take away some rust in a corner (with no result at all). No polishing, not even a new ear.

I see you are terrified that i can do a Vegas’ restauration… 🙂

🙂  👍  whatever you decide, good to hear you take your time and think it over