Mr Atomic, real?

sigbrando

hi everybody,

I lurked this community as a "guest" for a long time, but now it happened something that I must say to you.

(Forgive my english, I do what I can)

I am a low-end collector of tin toys, and in a junk shop nearby i saw this mr. atomic robot, blue version.

At first sight it seems original, even if in a very bad condition (not working, rusty, broken dome, etc.), and this is quite strange.

Now, i found here the thread on the topic of original vs. reproductions, and i will go and check the back and the batteries case (that seems to be the easiest way to understand if it's original or not), but what do you think about it?

Should I buy it? Worth the price (90 euros)? What's the right price if it's a MTH repro? (It has the "cragstan" logo on right bottom, so it shoudn't be OTTI.)

Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot.

IMG_0299.JPEG

Welcome!

Play wear suggests to me that it’s an original and if so then €90 is a steal (I’d happily buy it off you for double 🙂 )

No idea what a junker MTH would go for, but I wouldn’t bother given mint ones are 400-500 if I recall correctly 

I agree RC,,, the patina looks genuine but you never know.

1 hour ago, funkrobotik said:

l agree RC,,, the patina looks genuine but you never know.

Same here funkrobotik. An Osaka Tin Toys repro would say "Tin Age" in the small rectangle on the lower L-hand side where you see "Cragstan". If its a very weathered MTH repro the battery terminals would appear like this with the lower L-hand contact (-) looking like a small button - not a ring like the original (-) contact. Also notice the MTH stamped in the tin between the two printed batteries...

s-l960(3).jpg.f45f1f997b7969ece5320a33884612e7.jpg

The price is right, I would say buy it. I think you can buy repro parts like domes and ears.

The metallic blue looks right. Other than on the repros. 

Go for it. I‘m envious.

Tadà!

The new child (older then myself) is at home!

Thanks to everybody.

IMG_0304.JPEG

Brilliant, it has that superb authentic look  

Welcome. You start with a fantastic find. May I ask you in what country did you find it?

1 hour ago, 6Stelab9 said:

Welcome. You start with a fantastic find. May I ask you in what country did you find it?

Italy.

I wonder what journey it made.

What a well experienced old robot.

Suggest you keep him as is. Anything new on him would look strange.

This veritably worn condition, worn, not destroyed, is rarer to be found than the well preserved pieces. People paying high prices for guitars in worn look, even for as if worn. Well, not everybody has had the luck to live in the 60s.