Atom-Matic Rifle, Hollywood

Nick Danger

I picked up two space rifles a couple of weeks ago (thanks, Richard).  The only place I've ever seen these mentioned is on Justin Pinchot's website.  In fact, I'm convinced the top one is the same example he has pictured.  The bottom one seems to be a different example (the barrel rings are in a different location, and the cut of the stock is slightly different).

The top example is entirely wood and has a partial mechanism inside the body (a few springs) but is missing the trigger.

The bottom example is wood, aluminum, and steel (the trigger guard is magnetic, the rest isn't).  There is no trigger and no hole to accept one, but the trigger guard is meant to bend down on a hinge (it's very stiff, and I'm not going to force it).  

Both rifles have hollow barrels, so I presume they were supposed to fire corks or some such.  Both have nearly identical logos on the stocks, but the bottom one also has the words, "Hollywood, Calif."  On his website, Justin attributes these guns to Hollywood Toys, but I can't find any attribution (Justin...if you still check out this site, I'd love to know if you have a source).

The use of "Atom" in the name and the aluminum elements point to post-WW2 production.  Justin attributes them to the 1950s, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were late 1940s.  The all-wood construction of the top example reminds me of the all-wood toys made during the War.  Does anyone have any more information on these?

263393116_atom-maticrifles01.jpeg.c971e469612aaca7013c2641d3e582bd.jpeg

1251408430_atom-maticrifles02.jpeg.0002e94817bca48b5594c98c26fc8786.jpeg

7554667_atom-maticrifles03.jpeg.866781d4a4499e5cafa4c446c2d3c6af.jpeg