"ROSKO/Nomura" Battery Powered Space Pistol - Update

Hymie

I realize of course that this post will mainly just show that I have a firm grasp of the obvious, but I'll submit anyway -- in the sacred name of space toy scholarship. And what's the time of an old retired man worth anyway?

In the Alphadrome Robot and Space Toy Database, file 161/1886 (in the Space Guns category) reads as follows (and provides a photo of the referenced ROSKO-branded gun):

BATTERY POWERED SPACE PISTOL - ROSKO/NOMURA - JAPAN

Metallic blue lithographed tin battery operated pistol raygun Light and sound. Clear angular plastic window bay at front. Japan. Rosko importer logo. White star. Atomic wording. With Flashing Light and Noise.

The similarity to the Battery Powered Space Pistol by Nomura would suggest that Nomura is the maker.

I recently purchased a space gun that can confirm the hypothesis expressed in that last line, and I respectfully submit the attached photos of the identical Nomura-branded version of the gun in evidence of that assertion. Again, I realize that the manufacturer was never really in doubt, but since I could actually provide photos of the Nomura-branded version of the same exact toy (and original Nomura-branded box), I figured I'd do my part for the cause...

Nomura Space Gun 1.jpg

Nomura Space Gun 2.jpg

PS: If the forum members want to get together and chip in to buy me an original Masudaya Radicon robot to show their appreciation for my scholarly toil, I won't kick.

Incidentally (not to put too fine a point on it, I hope), the "Battery Powered Space Pistol by Nomura" referenced in the original database entry refers to a Nomura pistol listed on the previous database page that is similar to the ROSKO (and to my Nomura), but not at all identical. I'm just saying...

Thanks for posting this, Kevin.  I dig the nitty-gritty of this hobby, and I applaud your attention to detail.

The box art is interesting.  First off, the gun in the drawing is significantly longer than the actual gun (some serious artistic license, here).  Second, I don't know where this astronaut is, but apparently he needs a breathing mask but DOESN'T need eye protection.  In fact, it looks like half his face is exposed to the elements.

Good points. I always wonder, especially with some of the robot boxes, whether the art preceded the design of the toy or vice versa (since it's rarely exact). I think the answer is a resounding "Yes!"

21 hours ago, Hymie said:

PS: If the forum members want to get together and chip in to buy me an original Masudaya Radicon robot to show their appreciation for my scholarly toil, I won't kick.

Great post Hymie!    
I think you're deserving of that Radicon...   maybe Oz can spare one from the museum - and it can travel the collectors world, bouncing from photo op to photo op.   

somewhat like the Stanley Cup...