Almost twins

Ultrarobotman

I was looking over my collection the other night and realized for the first time how similar the 10" Yonezawa "Laughing Robot" from the 1980's is to the mid to late 1960's Yonezawa "Happy Harry the Hysterical Robot". At first I thought the newer shorter robot was a stolen idea from the older taller Harry even though both were made in Japan. This was before a little research showed the '60's Harry was indeed made by Yonezawa, just as the shorter one. Prior to this, there was confusion as to who manufactured it; Straco, Waco, Strenco or Yonezawa. So, no theft of design here, just a more modern re-make. The Happy Harry even had a box variation where he was called simply the"Laughing Robot". Anyway, the similarities caught my eye. Both bump n go, the claw hands, the base, the bodies, even the heads with little domes on top. The " ears" on the little guy even remind me of Harry's teeth or ears. And, of course, they both laugh. I don't know if this has ever been mentioned before, but, anyone else ever notice the close similarities? IMG_20231201_185716.jpg.a02a90d31c7bd36d5235b2a481ba1fb5.jpg