Polish: Question Time ..wax

roboz

Say a high grade caranuba wax...safe or unsafe to polish the ole tin plate ? Yes I'm sure we've covered this before but for those of us looking for "LUSTER" we need a refresher ( I said Luster BTW Not LUST ! although one does not preclude the other ) :ph34r:

half the people said " nnnnoooo wwwwwaaaayyyyy" the other half including me said "gggooooo fffoooorrr iiittttttt" ;)

.....patina all the way...no face-lifts please!!. B) I'd be concerned about any abrasions left behind....just as I try my best not to mess with the clear domes. Maybe if it's a-starting-to-turn anyway...

I'm more concerned is there any potential for damage ? Bartz you tried it I assume so your results were OK ? Can it protect the tin ?

AVOID GOOF OFF! I tried a little to remove some residue off of a bot, and it did the job alright. Right down to bare metal.

I was very happy with caranuba wax. I used it on an Attacking

Martian. It had surface rust all over it and a dull shine to the

painted surface. I used this wax and just my finger to polish it.

All the surface rust was gone and the paint shined up good.

It is used for cars so it shoud be safe for painted surfaces.

"Carnauba (Copernicia prunifera)

ARECACEAE, Palm Family

Carnauba wax is the coating on the surface of the leaf, i.e., cuticle. Leaves of this fan palm are removed individually from the tree, cut and shredded, and then dried, so that wax flakes off. A pound of carnauba wax is obtained from about 20 leaves. This powder is melted, strained, and then molded into blocks, to be shipped to manufacturing countries.

There are a thousand and one uses for carnauba wax, but you are most likely to hear about it as the principal ingredient in fine car polishes, even applied as a spray at the car wash. Carnauba is also important for the best furniture polishes, as for hardwood floors, but can be found as coating on dental floss, disposible cups and plates, even lipstick. "

I was very happy with caranuba wax. I used it on an Attacking

Martian. It had surface rust all over it and a dull shine to the

painted surface. I used this wax and just my finger to polish it.

All the surface rust was gone and the paint shined up good.

It is used for cars so it shoud be safe for painted surfaces.

"Carnauba (Copernicia prunifera)

ARECACEAE, Palm Family

Carnauba wax is the coating on the surface of the leaf, i.e., cuticle. Leaves of this fan palm are removed individually from the tree, cut and shredded, and then dried, so that wax flakes off. A pound of carnauba wax is obtained from about 20 leaves. This powder is melted, strained, and then molded into blocks, to be shipped to manufacturing countries.

There are a thousand and one uses for carnauba wax, but you are most likely to hear about it as the principal ingredient in fine car polishes, even applied as a spray at the car wash. Carnauba is also important for the best furniture polishes, as for hardwood floors, but can be found as coating on dental floss, disposible cups and plates, even lipstick. "

oz i did the same as mike. i have had no problems at all. ( as always test a small area first)

novus is also a great product . it works well on tin -but bottle states " for plastic".

Hey Thanks for all the replys ..I used some on my super cycle which was very dingy but he looks great now ! Morbs I'll leave a nice patina but in some cases this is plain ole dusty dirty , nicoteen style crud ;)

PS- this is a crappy picture as I have to shoot through the plexiglass glare

post-2-1112843810.jpg

:) I have a cloth that had been used to wax the car with a carnuba wax. It has the wax on it, and I just do my final polishing of the robot with it after first cleaning the robot with alcohol and soft cloth and Q-tips. It even shines up clear domes a bit.

• Brian.. changed the title to Polish: Question Time ..wax

Archived