Alps Space Fighter Rockets with Original Box in 2 Shades!

roboz

Nearly 2 years ago I packed this boxed Alps Rocket

during one of Florida's numerous hurricanes & then lost track of it

When Marcy (Deep Space) was shooting 1000 images earlier this year 

I knew I had a boxed version but thought I lost it. Every since I've been tearing down shelves

Looking inside other boxes like the gang of 5 to no avail

A few days ago looking for a Xmas tree stand I stumbled across a non descript plastic bin

It looked too small for the stand but decided to check inside any way. What do you think was in there

Much to my surprise the rocket !  I had long anticipated selling my extra space fighter once I found the boxed one

but clearly they are 2 different shades. So yes keeping both the greenish & blueish hue.

What do you think of the color variation?

Happy Thanksgiving for you yanks. 

Alps Rockets 1.jpg

Alps rockets 2.jpg

Apls Rockets 3.jpg

43 minutes ago, RoboCopy said:

Blue one is my favorite. (Could the other one be faded??)

Not at all the green is actually nicer overall condition

Thanks for sharing. Great looking in both colors. I had a man tell me he had one in red. We were communicating through eBay messages but eBay would not let him send images in the conversation. Who knows there's possibly a red version out there also.

Jet Rocket V-7 might be seen as red, as compared to this Space Fighter X-Y 105. Picture in the database. Or is there still a third one on the same moulding?

Hmm - I always attributed the color difference to inaccurate photography - nice to know that they are two distinct color variations.  Offhand I might like the blue better  -but have to see them in person first.........

On 11/23/2023 at 9:04 AM, RoboCopy said:

Blue one is my favorite. (Could the other one be faded??)

I was thinking the same thing, stored under different lighted conditions or truly a differing paint mix like the Mercedes Pullman 600 Corgi toy which can vary in shades from a dark burgundy to bright light red.  Either way they are beyond spectacular to see, Oz.  Fun when you find stuff amongst the space clutter when you're searching for something else makes for a great day.

Yes, I'm also thinking that the difference lies in the ageing of the surface finish. If it were a painting you'd attribute it to the yellowing  of the varnish. Each colour seems to have been equally shifted to the yellow end of the spectrum.  Personally I much prefer that beautiful rich patina to the brighter coloured version. 

Without a doubt one of the finest space toys of all time. 

1 hour ago, Brian.. said:

Yes, I'm also thinking that the difference lies in the ageing of the surface finish. If it were a painting you'd attribute it to the yellowing  of the varnish. Each colour seems to have been equally shifted to the yellow end of the spectrum.  Personally I much prefer that beautiful rich patina to the brighter coloured version. 

Without a doubt one of the finest space toys of all time. 

Well said Brian; I agree 100% with your observation. The differences appear subtle in some of the photos and the bluish example does have a 'fresher' appearance to the litho. I would think that if the manufacturer intentionally produced two color versions of the toy that the results would be more discernable. The reds and yellows are very similar in the two examples but then an overall yellowish patina would have less of an affect on these colors. The differences are probably not due to extended exposure to light either as red and yellow pigments are generally the most susceptable to fading and color shifting. 

Regardless they are both beautiful examples of one of the most desirable lithographed tin space toys ever made.  Glad you didn't lose the boxed version Oz!