Playmates A.R.L.O. a true wtf moment

plasticaugie

It's hard to know where to start here, but I will try to make this concise. Decades ago (2001), I actually can't believe it's been this long, Playmates announced they were going to produce a high end toy robot that looked a lot like the Honda Asimo which had just debuted in the previous year (2000). There were threads about this here on Alphadrome and the robot was impossible to find when it was new and many speculated that it was not produced. Robothut has the only one I have ever seen demonstrated, here is a link to the video.

This is a very impressive toy that looks like it was actually done by Silverlit for Playmates to me, retail was at least $100 I would imagine. 

Here is where it gets weird. A big part of the promotional campaign that was created to get people talking about this toy when it was announced at the NY Toy Fair is that the robot contained human DNA. A lot of jokes were made followed by confusion about the gimmick. Maybe Playmates just wanted to attach something that appeared high tech to the promotional materials but it always struck most as an odd concept. Here is a screenshot in the manual talking about the DNA contained in the toy. Thanks John for making the video and showing the paperwork.

Screenshot_20231023-213657_YouTube.jpg

That's really weird right? Well brace yourself, it's about to go nuclear tinfoil. At the end of the video John shows a certificate which I have screenshot.

Screenshot_20231023-213811_YouTube.jpg

So what do we know? The ARLO toy contains DNA from an unknown genius, this DNA was replicated by Stargene a biotechnology corporation using PCR. This DNA was fused with silicone dioxide and I guess mixed into the plastic almost like when KISS bled into the red ink for their Marvel comic book. But PCR, where have we heard about that? That's right most of us had to endure multiple PCR tests over the last three years it even mentions the inventor Kary Mullis! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kary_Mullis

Mullis claims he invented the polymerase chain reaction while on LSD.

Here he is talking about Dr. Fauci,

Lastly Mullis passed away in August 2019 due to complications of pneumonia. The whole thing reads like a Black Mirror episode