Buyer Beware of Auctions

Jesse 12

I had the winning bid on a  robot offered by Smith House Auctions. I promptly paid and waited for robot to arrive. When I received the shipment and opened the box the robot was damaged. The shipping box appeared in good shape so I have to assume that the robot was damaged when packaged. I called Smith House and was told to ship the robot back for repairs, assuming that I would be reimbursed my shipping costs, I mailed back the robot. After a few days when I didn't hear back from Smith House I sent them a email telling them I wanted to cancel the order and I wanted  cost of the robot and my return shipping cost refunded. After hearing nothing back from the auction house I contacted my credit company and after several months I received the funds for the cost of the robot ,but not the return shipping. After several more attempts over several more months, I was informed that vendor was unwilling to refund the return shipping cost. So the point is, make sure you ask all the right questions before you  buy.

I had a similar experience with Smith House several years ago, robot arrived with damage in two places, one to a leg where it attaches to the walking mechanism, the other showing a rather poor bodged repair to damaged battery compartment, transit box undamaged so must have been damaged/repaired at time of auction listing although there was no mention of the damage/repairs and the photos listed failed to show any problems, more to the point looked in very good condition.

Contacted Smith House who stated I should have asked about the condition before bidding, and if not satisfied to return it, therein is the problem, I live in the UK and had to pay a substantial amount in UK import duty which Smith House stated they would not refund. I still have the robot years later which is a constant reminder of my unsatisfactory buying experience with Smith House. To be fair most UK auction houses are even worse, but that is another story. 

Hence I am now very wary of bidding on anything Smith House lists, why should we have to ask for a detailed condition report when any problems should be mentioned and with photos at the time of listing.

An auction house worth its salt would always indicate any obvious faults. It's poor business practice to rely on the old "buyer beware" clause, especially in a world of remote bidding. 

Auction houses may save a few dollars by hiding or ignoring faults but they'll lose thousands once bidders realise that catalogue descriptions are false or misleading.  A good reputation takes years to earn but minutes to lose.