DEEP SEA ROBOT-MODERN TOYS

ROBODUDE

Hello! Does anyone have a ballpark guess on the value of a Modern Toys Deep Sea Robot? It is in almost mint condition and works and has a very good condition box! The seller is asking $295.00 and I said to my wife-I think that is a good deal-but I am not sure??? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance-Rich    P.S.-It also has the winding key and instruction booklet and the winding key has a cloth bag with the modern toys logo on it

Hello Robodude, 

I guess you refer to the reproduction issue of the deep sea robot produced by Tin Tom Toys from China (according to my knowledge).
The Tim Tom Toy logo (ToM) can be mixed up with a Modern Toy (TM) logo. Another confusing thing is that even the toy shows „Japan“ on the side it was produced in China, probably late 90s or early 2000s. 

Actually the Japanese company Masudaya (Modern Toys) never produced any of the Toys of this series.

Regarding value the reproduction is clearly a fraction in value compared to the rare original, but difficult to say how much one is ready to pay for it, probably more than originally paid for when it was issued. 

IMG_3824.jpeg.22f81c920c200342118728f796992c51.jpeg

14 hours ago, gernot said:

The Tim Tom Toy logo (ToM) can be mixed up with a Modern Toy (TM) logo. Another confusing thing is that even the toy shows „Japan“ on the side it was produced in China, probably late 90s or early 2000s. 

Actually the Japanese company Masudaya (Modern Toys) never produced any of the Toys of this series.

Regarding value the reproduction is clearly a fraction in value compared to the rare original, but difficult to say how much one is ready to pay for it, probably more than originally paid for when it was issued. 

Hi Robodude,

Gernot is absolutely correct and your description is an exact match for the Tin Tom Toys reproduction and his photo depicting the ToM logo. At first glance the ToM logo very closely resembles Modern Toys trademark of an overlapping MT in a flattened diamond; probably too closely since Tom Liao later modified the design to be more of a vertical diamond with three breaks. Also don't be fooled by "JAPAN" printed on the reproduction, the toy was manufactured in China. Note that JAPAN was not printed on all the reproductions so perhaps these were part of a smaller production run. The original Naito Shoten Deep Sea Robot might go for $1,100 to $2,000+ depending upon condition. There is a great overview of the original robot in this link:  https://www.grandoldtoys.com/toydb_Detail.php?id=1896

13-0057_1.jpg.4074aaf7caffcbdc596895967e3685b7.jpg

A reasonable price for a nice boxed Tin Tom Toys example shouldn't be too much more than $100 (notice that the repro had a suggested retail price of $35.99). Hope this is of some help!

tintom555.jpg.e1b6e13ea5e454ae5a156c1b680ac8a9.jpg

Awesome!! Thank you everyone for the information!-I am pretty sure that was a TinTom toys reproduction now-THANK YOU EVERYONE-You have saved me a chunk of money😏-Rich