Space Adventure Robby by KO Japan

roboz

I recall Pat Karris had snagged this beauty 

somehow managed to find its way to the "collection"

Anyone remember the journey & how many more may exist?

I've heard of one other but can't verify

Space Adventure Robby.jpg

I seem to remember it as a one off prototype. But a printed box would seem to suggest otherwise. Can we see the back of the toy?

I remember when he got it as I thought it was a fabulous find. As I remember it Pat found it on eBay and did a deal with the seller. I seem to remember he made them a very fair offer they couldn’t refuse (rather than wait for the auction to end and probably snag it for less ).

(But I could be making this up as our brain can play tricks on us)

By far the best colour combo and just an amazing box. 

Great score, Oz

2 hours ago, MetalRobotHead said:

This thread from 2013 has more information and photos.

Well I see I lusted over this 10 years ago 

Thanks for posting this thread

So much has changed in the ensuing decade

Well, here's the story Oz.  I discovered this myself late one evening on ebay searching listings September 2013, it was listed by an auction company.  I stared at it for some hours trying to make sense of it and wondering if I could get them to end the listing early and if I'd be able to cover such a purchase....so at that point I sent the link to Pat (ROBOTHUNTER) at that point as he was the premier collector of Robby the Robot and I figured he'd have some info on it, he hadn't seen it before, that surprized me. We continued to discuss it late into the night toward morning including debating how many top collectors may have been watching at that time and the fact that neither of us had ever seen this box before and trying to figure options beyond waiting the auction out. We discussed about it maybe being a salesman's sample etc and other possibilities.  After some serious negotiations over the next day or two with the seller he was able to purchase this piece outright from them.  The scans here of of that ebay listing I was able to locate today in my paper archives.  In my 36 years of collecting at that point, I'd never seen this box. Hope this helps, Oz.

Adventure1303.jpg

Adventure2304.jpg

😁Thanks Metalrobothead for finding the old thread, I'd added my response before I realized you'd pasted that.

That appears to be a different box? The one Oz posted has some damage - a little torn off rectangle lower right and some tape at the top. The top right corner looks a bit crushed or abraded. The auction picture hasn't got those. So, did I miss something? Is this a different one?

I noticed that right away, a few weeks after finding it Pat mentioned he knew of at least 2 other boxes, maybe he traded off the cleaner one to someone else.