CURIOUS ABOUT MOON CREATURES

Phil R

Had a dealer at a show with one of the moon creatures.  He said there was 4th rare one.  I've never heard of this. I have the three but never heard of a 4th.  Nothing in database.  Comments?

post-6-1173157685.jpg

Yes, the box says Chompy the beetle. If you don't have a box I could certainly see it being mistaken for a moon explorer. I think there might even be more than one Chompy the Beetle. I'll have to look through my bugs.

True, but isn't the  red and blue one  also Chompy the Beetle  in the box and he's considered one of the three Moon figures?  So, therefore.....?

images (1).jpg

I believe, I have all of them, but...

There's an old catalog picture of one with diagonal wire antennas, but I don't think it was ever sold...

Moon_Creatures.jpg

Thanks for the 5th one. I now have to look for 2 more.  Any of the 2 harder ones for sale ?  Are all 5 moon creatures, 3 Chompys and only 2 moon creatures?

How about that! Three Chompies! Now I definitely have to look through my bugs to see how many I've got. That White one in the middle I got when I was a kid and still have him. I never really considered him robot-worthy, even though he was from the moon.

Astrogonza, is that your collection of Marx Bugs ??? If so, very nice, if not still very nice.

Back in the day, I used to sell the replacement antennas on eBay. I might still have the pattern and some of the material.

On the topic, the 6th Moon Creature / Chompy Beetle is called INSECT 7.

See scan below from page 36 of the 1996 MARX Toys book, by Schiffer.

The book doesn't make a big deal about Insect 7, saying it sells between $100 and $225.

The crazy thing is, they say, the very common, Chompy sells between $175 and $200.

Over the years, I've spoke with MANY collectors and dealers and NO ONE has ever seen one in the flesh / tin.

The book claims that one sold at Lloyd Ralston Galleries, Fairfield, Connecticut.

I will ask again, HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN a MARX INSECT 7 ???

Marx_Insect_7_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Apparently the brown haired Chompy has his own box. Maybe he was supposed to be one of the Beatles ???

The two Moon Creatures appear to have at least 4 different boxes.

I also remember as a kid, seeing Chompies being sold at Kresge's in a bulk carton. Basically you got the Chompy with no box. I'm sure those bulk cartons are very rare.

It looks like the blue headed Chompy has the same box as the yellow headed one. Just from doing a Google search, the blue one is the least common.

As for Insect 7, my post is the only reference on the entire net. Maybe it was a prototype...

Brown Chompy.jpg

Moon 1.jpg

Moon 2.jpg

Moon 3.jpg

Moon.jpg

Blue Chompy.jpg

Yellow Chompy.jpg