Hand Painted Prototype Space Capsule ?

roboz

If somebody was going to go to all that trouble I'd think they'd make a toy robot instead. Wouldn't that make more money? That's a crazy design. It's amazing somebody didn't produce it.

12 minutes ago, Joe K. said:

Good eye, Dirk.

798011212_1970horikawacatnewspacecapsulecu.JPG.933ef1ef5615113c7862419df1df618a.JPG

Who has a better image to share?

That could be it , plain bottom , yellow/orange pilot , matching nose cone 

9 hours ago, zzrobot said:

It was maybe the mock-up/prototype for the New Space Capsule, notice the final toy is half plastic.

Correct Stan! The bottom half was released in BLUE plastic. I remember to had have it also on my work bench.

I guess we can assume to see your handpainted prototype in this 70s catalogue, OZ.

Would be great to find a better image or the original catalogue...

I wonder how many prototypes exist for every robot that was made. I've seen a few unsuccessful candidates in person, including that beautiful Marx wind-up from a few years ago and of course there are marvels like the Changing Prince. Do prototypes exist for many of the robots that did get made? I know there are a few Mr. Atomic versions, but what about Television Spaceman or Mr. Robot or the hundreds of others? Are they lost, or in Japan, or in the collections we never see? I know Eric has some.

22 hours ago, David Kirk said:

If somebody was going to go to all that trouble I'd think they'd make a toy robot instead. Wouldn't that make more money? That's a crazy design. It's amazing somebody didn't produce it.

My assumption is that most of the space toys that are less whimsical and more NASA influenced designs were taking advantage of the fascination with all things NASA at that time. I think quite a bit of money was made back in the 60's and 70's jumping on this bandwagon. Just look at how many of these NASA based toys survive. This makes me think they sold quite a few. 

Nice piece OZ! Hand painted prototypes are SO cool!  

That's a wonderful hand painted space capsule Oz! I love the precision and artistry that went into this piece. The silver tin bottom looks better that the plastic bottom used in the later production version. I have a Junior Toys Mr. Mercury prototype which features the rare yellow version (hand painted) tin chest plate,

the painting is so well executed that you need to view it up close to see that it's not lithography.

My vote is that you got what you paid for - a very cool hand painted pre-production prototype.