Yochan and Delchan!

Martian Gil

These are the only pics that I will post for the moment.   
A few of the old parts needed some repairs and glue is drying now.

this little bag contains the gearing and power source for locomotion...  the guts of a truly fantastic robot!
 yes.   I need to locate several small rubber bands now.
Cheers all!

DSC01295.JPG

DSC01298.JPG

With a steaming cup of joe to get me going...

I'm going to have a go at attempting to get these old kits moving with the aid of a good old (new) rubber band.
Tiny, yes.   
Am I confident... not exactly.

My threshold for stopping the project will be if I feel like any of the process puts too much pressure on these little parts.
I will gladly leave them as "static" toys rather than suffer any breakage.

Here I go.  
Cheers!

DSC01461 (1).JPG

Well, this pair of toys will not be walking anytime soon, and I'm ok with that.

I assembled, trimmed some flash here and there... tried to fine tune the gearing / linkages, etc.
All of that went well enough - the design work on these little kits is quite amazing.

The fly in the ointment is the rubber band as a power source.
With a spring wound motor, there are controls in place to ensure a somewhat controlled release of energy.
With the rubber band and this gearing / wind up system - NO BEUNO !!
The rubber band is a little timebomb for this brittle plastic.

I was able to replicate what I think the design was intended to do - but without the arms in place.
It really is a tightly spec'd set-up.   Just a shame that there isn't a more controlled way to deliver power to the gearing.
This little unit swings back and forth freely - I'm not certain if this was meant to be a bit of a counter balance to the rubber bands energy release?    

DSC01470.JPG.83489cb12323d4b1c8396663283b1e1f.JPG

I imagine that most of the tinkerers on here have more grey matter than me - if anyone has any ideas, I would be willing to think on them and perhaps try them out.

For now, they are gems in the cabinet - not going to walk away... or shatter into bits 🙂

Here are a handful of pics of these beauties!   
Thanks again to Gernot for the trade!   🤖

The third fellow in the last pics is called "Apollo" according to his packaging - he came to me directly from Japan.
Apollo is not rubberband powered - I think the idea is that you would roll it and friction from the wheels would rotate his inner chest piece and his antennae.
Again, no beuno for that type of motion - I apply some pressure and I can hear that old plastic start cursing at me.

If you notice the upper right corner of the packaging for Yochan and Delchan, you'll see Apollo.   Pretty cool.

Last question for the peanut gallery...
Are both of the blue toys robots?  
Or could it be that Delchan is an astronaut / spaceman?   

Cheers, 

DSC01468.JPG

DSC01471.JPG

DSC01472.JPG

DSC01473.JPG

DSC01480.JPG

DSC01485.JPG

Thank you, Guy!   They really do pack a ton of charm - they'd make fantastic robots, scaled up...   (hint hint, John, Brian, and any of the other large brained printer-folk!)

1 hour ago, Martian Gil said:

they'd make fantastic robots, scaled up...   (hint hint, John, Brian, and any of the other large brained printer-folk!)

That's what I was thinking too. They would be very nice upscaling candidates;

1 hour ago, 6Stelab9 said:

That's what I was thinking too. They would be very nice upscaling candidates;

Stephane, you and Jeremy were on my mind for printing these as well - I remember that great Rudy print, among others.

It's good to see such good clear pictures of these charming little fellows with their tiny willies. 

It's a pity that they are so small. The size doesn't do justice to the great styling on the pair. 

Thank you Clive, Brian, Alle!   Fun stuf to induce the smiles !

3 hours ago, Brian.. said:

It's a pity that they are so small. The size doesn't do justice to the great styling on the pair. 

Hmmm..  Brian, I;m more than happy to provide hi res pics and measurements!  😉