1972 - Gigantor Robot by Mego

Joe K.

See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...614773&rd=1

And, specifically:

http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/b6/d4/6f_3.JPG

Looks like Krome Dome and Lunar Spaceman on the left side of the page (along with two others I can't identify). Below Lunar Spaceman is a space toy identified in Morita, page 147, as "Apollo Set". The box pictured is in Japanese. This same toy, with it's English language box can be found in a Bertoia Catalog, April 2 & 3, 2004, page 22. The box identifies it as "Journey to the Moon".

For a photo of Krome Dome and it's Mego/Yonezawa box, see the Sotheby's/Griffith Auction catalog, page 88, item #246. Both logos appear on the box!

An earlier version of this toy is pictured in Jacky Broutin's book, Les Joulets Japonais (Japanese Toys From the Late 50's & 60's), in a 1967 Yonezawa catalog. Here, it's called Martin the Martian.

And, the Mercury X-1 Space Saucer on the right side of the page. See Morita, page 183 for a photo of the saucer and it's box. The box appears to bear both the Mego and Yonezawa logos!

To the left of the X-1 is a toy identified in Morita, page 147, also as "Apollo Set". Again, the box pictured is in Japanese. A photo of this toy appears in Don Hultzman's Collector's Guide To Battery Toys, second edition, page 120. No box is shown, but Hultzman identifies the toy as "Moon Globe Orbiter".

I blew the picture up a bit, but I still can't identify the robot in the upper left hand corner. Does this help any Joe? The other un-named robot appears to be a Rotate-o-matic of some sort?

6f_3_larger_mego.jpg

==================================================================

A better image from a later listing:

1972 mego cat int.jpg

Click on this image to enlarge.

I've got it now, FJW.

That's Gigantor by Mego. It's photographed from a low angle and the chest doors are open. It's box is marked with a date of "1970", so nothing new here on that one for the Timeline.

The 'rotate-o-matic' is still a mystery.

Thanks for adding the enlarged photo, Don!

The rocket on the lower right side looks like the one in Morita, page 144. It's box says Interplanetary Rocket. Made by Yonezawa.

• 1 month later...

In Europe I was told that Krome Dome went under the name Martin the Martian. (which was alsothe name of the blow out alien toy witht he many legs) I believe that the version picture in the Broutin book is a prototype/salemens sample version

• 1 year later...