SPACE SHIP X-3 SPARKLING FRICTION ROCKET - MASUDAYA - JAPAN

tinluver2

Wanted to share some pics of a Rocket I was fortunate to be able to purchase. Although I have had several examples of the "Space Ship X-3" in the the usual green /red color in the past (which in itself was very hard to come by) I have never seen it before in this striking blue color combination.  I have never seen it appear in any catalogues or auctions.  I have had many rockets over the years and this is surely one of my favorites.

IMG_5402.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

IMG_5395.jpg

BTW this is the green version as had in past. This is a really early toy (1953) and almost always found faded. Must have been a problem with the finish process at the time. Also beautiful toy in this color.

X-3 Les10001.JPG

I can't stop admiring this piece. I see this as a major find (I have never seen this deep blue before) and an absolutely gorgeous version of an already very scarce toy. 

Here is my X-3. A case study in the effect ultraviolet light has on litho pigments over time. Interestingly my rocket is faded evenly all the way around. I am thinking the rocket must have sat in the middle of a room with windows all around. 

yellow X-3.jpg

Thanks for all the comments!  YES Don it was very exciting for me to acquire this blue example. So seldom does something we have not seen before appear, not to mention how beautiful I think this rocket is. Your X-3 is faded so perfectly it looks like a fine color variation on its own. Maybe it was in a shop window. Certainly a clean and straight toy. (PS your Billy on a Saucer👍!) Attached is a pic of my rocket collection to complete my Trifecta :))

IMG_5606.jpg

Nice  rockets!  Don, I notice you're missing both the red and blue. It's highly unlikely  sun would  completely fade both colors completely.  More likely it's a misprint with both color missed.

How it got through completely to production is a mystery.

On 2/8/2023 at 5:40 PM, Phil R said:

Nice  rockets!  Don, I notice you're missing both the red and blue. It's highly unlikely  sun would  completely fade both colors completely.  More likely it's a misprint with both color missed.

How it got through completely to production is a mystery.

Hey Phil! I should have said the rocket is faded *almost* equally all around. Sorry, that was misleading. The back does show some last hints at the blue and red colors. I always thought that what looks like yellow now was originally red which fades to yellow.

back of X3.jpg