MR. LEM - very complicated wiring ahead...

Martian Gil

Okay.   not very complicated, I suppose.
Other aspects of his repair were very nerve frazzling though!  🙂

I just re-soldered that loose wire and then hand polished the bejebbers out of it with my fave Meguiars product for a couple of hours.

How about this issue?    He's fine running, shiny old toy now - but his arms dangle loosley by his side.   
I've thought of a few ways to get that action tightened a bit, but I don't think any will be especially nice looking or effective.
Great 53 year old plastic... but he walks a bit like a goober.
Cheers, 

20230203_101745.jpg

20230203_120157.jpg

DSC01270.JPG

VERY SHINY !!!  He looks good Kirk !!!😀 How about tight rubber washers to grip the rod (From inside) , yet still allow some movement?

13 hours ago, ROBODUDE said:

How about tight rubber washers to grip the rod (From inside) , yet still allow some movement?

Thanks fellas!   
Rich, that was my first thought - but, I don't think I can do that unless I separate the arm halves - I think the culprit (loose or stretched component) would be on the inside of the upper arm, or the little aluminum joint / rod going through the arm to the linkage.

Here are a couple of pics of my Moon Explorer's arm linkage connectors - LEM's are the same, but I haven't gotten pics of those yet.
These arm joints are still tight and would give that "arm swinging" action when walking.  

For LEM, (without cracking the arms open) - I think I would either need to press or crush that little alum hub-end down some more...  sounds risky!!    Or, try what you had in mind and add some rubber or neoprene at one or both of the blue arrow points.
I'm thinking I won't be able to do this without damaging LEM - so for now, I will ponder other Ideas and wait for someone much brighter than myself to come up with some solution.    

For now, I'm happy with this result - and the bonus is that I can get back into him at a later date if something comes along.   
Not the most graceful toy in the cabinet, lol.  
Cheers!

20230204_081425.jpg

20230204_081453.jpg

On 2/4/2023 at 9:47 AM, robothut said:

Motor sounds like it needs a drop of oil on the bearings to me. I like the way it walks and the arms just swinging too and froe.

I'll hit it again, the next time I have him open - mostly, the noise seems to be when the motor itself vibrates in the housing.   I think.
I think I might make a little shim of sorts and see how that sounds.

His arms will stay the way they are - swinging without a care in the world, lol.

17 hours ago, zzrobot said:

Can you describe the plastic polishing process ?

Howdy Stan - the hand polishing is as easy as it sounds, lol.    Just dabbing the Meguiar's  #26 on a bit of soft cloth and very slight elbow grease.
It's great stuff - unlike other heavier wax or compounds, it does not leave behind heavy residue that hides and gets "chalky" after time.
Polish, wipe clean - viola!
I don't use dremels or other rotary devices, because of the heat concern.

I did remove the rockets from his chest - since he was open, it was easy enough.

Cheers.,